David Gauke’s voting in Parliament
David Gauke is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of David Gauke’s votes.
Generally voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
11 votes for, 0 votes against, 6 absences, between 2012–2014
Consistently voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2010–2017
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2007–2016
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
19 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, between 2008–2015
Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
45 votes for, 1 vote against, 8 absences, between 2012–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of David Gauke’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit David Gauke’s full vote analysis page for more.
David Gauke has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
Work and Pensions: Universal Credit rollout.
Witnesses: Rt Hon David Gauke MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Department for Work and Pensions Neil Couling CBE, Director, Universal Credit Programme, Department for Work and Pensions
More of David Gauke’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for South West Hertfordshire
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Topics of interest
David Gauke campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Education and Skills
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Open Source Software
- Departmental Computers
- Child Benefit: Personal Records
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (since 11 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- The Chief Secretary to the Treasury (14 Jul 2016 to 11 Jun 2017)
- The Financial Secretary to the Treasury (15 Jul 2014 to 14 Jul 2016)
- The Exchequer Secretary (13 May 2010 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (9 Nov 2009 to 7 Dec 2009)
- Shadow Minister (Treasury) (3 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Treasury Committee (13 Feb 2006 to 17 Jul 2007)
- Member, Procedure Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 11 Jun 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all David Gauke’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 100.00% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 12 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 126 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on David Gauke’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1131 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Oct 2017.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: England and Wales Cricket Board
Address of donor: Lord’s Cricket Ground, London NW8 8QZ
Amount of donation, or nature and value if donation in kind: Three hospitality tickets for Lords Cricket Ground with a total value of £600
Date received: 9 September 2017
Date accepted: 9 September 2017
Donor status: company, registration 3251364
(Registered 13 September 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from