Shailesh Vara’s voting in Parliament
Shailesh Vara is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Shailesh Vara’s votes.
Almost always voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2007–2016
Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
17 votes for, 5 votes against, between 2010–2015
Generally voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 3 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
8 votes for, 4 votes against, 1 absence, between 2008–2016
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
21 votes for, 62 votes against, 8 absences, between 2008–2017
We have lots more plain English analysis of Shailesh Vara’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Shailesh Vara’s full vote analysis page for more.
Shailesh Vara has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
When the European Union says Britain is not taking the talks seriously, it in effect means that it is not happy that Britain is not accepting everything it is putting on the negotiating table. May I congratulate my right hon. Friend on not conceding, and on standing up for the British people? May I also remind him that Britain’s position is not as weak as some people would believe? It...
At the recent G20 meetings, the Prime Minister had excellent and constructive trade discussions with the leaders of India, China, Japan and America, which collectively represent 43% of the world’s population and six times the population of the European Union. Does my right hon. Friend agree with me that this demonstrates the potential for a prosperous and positive future for Britain...
In recent days, there has been absolute misery for thousands of motorists in my constituency, which has been caused by work that is being carried out by Highways England. I wrote to Mr Jim O’Sullivan, the chief executive of Highways England, for an explanation, and it has taken a week for me to receive a standard acknowledgment letter saying that I will get a substantive response within...
More of Shailesh Vara’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for North West Cambridgeshire
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Topics of interest
Shailesh Vara campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Departmental Data Protection
- Departmental Written Questions
- Departmental Art Works
- Departmental Reviews
- Human Trafficking
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (9 Jul 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 2011 to 14 Jan 2013)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (8 Nov 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 11 Dec 2006)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Shailesh Vara’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 100.00% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 36 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 119 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 355 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 11 Sep 2017.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Mr Anil Agarwal
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £5,000
Donor status: individual
(Registered 06 July 2017
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Asian Media Group
Address of donor: Garavi Gujarat House, 1-2 Silex Street, London SE1 0DW
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: Two tickets plus hospitality at a football match at Stamford Bridge
, total value £677.04 (£338.52 per person)
Date received: 22 January 2017
Date accepted: 22 January 2017
Donor status: company, registration 01716184
(Registered 16 February 2017
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from