Shailesh Vara campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Shailesh Vara’s voting in Parliament
Shailesh Vara is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Shailesh Vara’s votes.
Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
17 votes for, 5 votes against, between 2010–2015
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
8 votes for, 4 votes against, 1 absence, between 2008–2016
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2010–2016
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
20 votes for, 59 votes against, 8 absences, between 2008–2017
Consistently voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
13 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2014
We have lots more plain English analysis of Shailesh Vara’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Shailesh Vara’s full vote analysis page for more.
Shailesh Vara has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 8 Feb 2017
Will the hon. Gentleman give way?
It is a pleasure to serve under your chairmanship, as always, Mr Davies. I commend my hon. Friend the Member for Rossendale and Darwen (Jake Berry) on securing this important debate. To the extent that it is relevant, I declare that I am co-chairman of the Conservative Friends of India group. Our existing trade with the Commonwealth is not insignificant. In 2015, our exports to the...
My hon. Friend makes a valid point, but I hope he will appreciate that it is not for us to invite countries to join the Commonwealth. We are equal partners, and it is important to remember that, in the Commonwealth, we should not pick favourites. We should give the smaller nations equal treatment, particularly given that our aim is to increase trade. There is the potential to increase trade...
More of Shailesh Vara’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for North West Cambridgeshire
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Departmental Data Protection
- Departmental Written Questions
- Departmental Art Works
- Departmental Reviews
- Human Trafficking
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (9 Jul 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 2011 to 14 Jan 2013)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (8 Nov 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 11 Dec 2006)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Shailesh Vara’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 91.69% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 35 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 117 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 349 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 20 Feb 2017.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Asian Media Group
Address of donor: Garavi Gujarat House, 1-2 Silex Street, London SE1 0DW
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: Two tickets plus hospitality at a football match at Stamford Bridge, total value £677.04 (£338.52 per person)
Date received: 22 January 2017
Date accepted: 22 January 2017
Donor status: company, registration 01716184
(Registered 16 February 2017)
4. Visits outside the UK
Name of donor: (1) The Art of Living Foundation
(UK); (2) Vyakti Vikas Kendra India
Address of donor: (1) 96 Hartland Drive, Edgware, Middlesex; (2) 21st Kanakpura Road, Art of Living International Ashram, Bangalore 560 082, India
Amount of donation: (1) Return flight to and from India, £1,381.15; (2) in New Delhi, transportation, accommodation and some meals, £640.
Destination of visit: New Delhi, India
Date of visit: 10 - 14 March 2016
Purpose of visit: To speak at the Global Leadership Forum and attend the World Culture Festival. (I also met with the Prime Minister
(Registered 07 April 2016
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from