Shailesh Vara’s voting in Parliament
Shailesh Vara is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Shailesh Vara’s votes.
Almost always voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2007–2016
Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
44 votes for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 2011–2016
Consistently voted for greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
12 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2013–2016
Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, in 2010
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
26 votes for, 87 votes against, 8 absences, between 2008–2018
Generally voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 3 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Shailesh Vara’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Shailesh Vara’s full vote analysis page for more.
Shailesh Vara has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
On 8 March, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland set out a NI budget position for 2018-19 to give clarity and certainty on NI finances for the year ahead. It provides a secure basis for protecting and preserving public services including in education which has seen spending protected in real terms for the 2018/19 financial year. Education is a devolved matter and while we have ensured...
Two members of the House of Lords hold paid roles in the Northern Ireland Office. Lord Duncan of Springbank has been Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State since October 2017. Jonathan Caine has been Special Adviser since May 2010 and was created Lord Caine in September 2016. We do not hold a central record of all those who hold roles, either paid or unpaid, within the Department's agencies...
The Northern Ireland Office receives managed ICT services from IT Assist (ITA), which is a service provided by Enterprise Shared Services, a body within the Department of Finance, Northern Ireland. Any such applications would be developed by them. The information requested is, therefore, not held by this Department.
More of Shailesh Vara’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for North West Cambridgeshire
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Topics of interest
Shailesh Vara campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Departmental Data Protection
- Departmental Written Questions
- Departmental Art Works
- Departmental Reviews
- Human Trafficking
Currently held offices
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Northern Ireland Office) (since 9 Jan 2018)
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (9 Jul 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 2011 to 14 Jan 2013)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (8 Nov 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 11 Dec 2006)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Shailesh Vara’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 93.72% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 36 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 101 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 376 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Sep 2018.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Asian Media Group
Address of donor: Garavi Gujarat House, 1-2 Silex Street, London, SE1 0DW
Amount of donation or nature and value of donation in kind: Two tickets plus hospitality at a football match at Stamford Bridge
, total value £650 (£325 per person)
Date received: 16 December 2017
Date accepted: 16 December 2017
Donor status: company, registration 01716184
(Registered 19 December 2017)
Name of donor: Hanover Communications International Ltd
Address of donor: 70 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8BT
Amount of donation, or nature and value if donation in kind: Ticket plus hospitality at a rugby match at Twickenham Stadium
, total value £799
Date received: 17 March 2018
Date accepted: 17 March 2018
Donor status: company, registration 3559699
(Registered 03 April 2018
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from