Shailesh Vara’s voting in Parliament
Shailesh Vara is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Shailesh Vara’s votes.
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 3 votes against, between 2007–2016
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
21 votes for, 60 votes against, 8 absences, between 2008–2017
Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013
Almost always voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
8 votes for, 4 votes against, 1 absence, between 2008–2016
Consistently voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2010–2017
We have lots more plain English analysis of Shailesh Vara’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Shailesh Vara’s full vote analysis page for more.
Last updated: 19 Apr 2017
There has been much reference to the national interest this afternoon, and I commend my right hon. Friend for doing a deal with the DUP in the national interest. However, given this crucial time in our history and the challenges that lie ahead, does he agree that now is the time for Labour to work constructively with the Government for the greater good of the nation, not to seek to score...
When EU leaders say that they want EU laws to prevail over their citizens in the UK, what they are effectively saying is that they do not trust our judicial system. When the Prime Minister next meets her EU counterparts, may I suggest that she gently reminds them that many of the companies in their own countries—the companies that drive their economies—actually use English and...
I congratulate my right hon. Friend on her appointment as Leader of the House, and I wish her well in all that she does. This week, there has been absolute misery for thousands of motorists in my constituency. It has arisen because of a decision by Highways England to close off a slip road at junction 17 leading on to the A1(M). That decision was taken by Highways England without any...
More of Shailesh Vara’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for North West Cambridgeshire
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Topics of interest
Shailesh Vara campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Departmental Data Protection
- Departmental Written Questions
- Departmental Art Works
- Departmental Reviews
- Human Trafficking
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (9 Jul 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 2011 to 14 Jan 2013)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (8 Nov 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 11 Dec 2006)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Shailesh Vara’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- People have made 36 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 120 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 354 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Asian Media Group
Address of donor: Garavi Gujarat House, 1-2 Silex Street, London SE1 0DW
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: Two tickets plus hospitality at a football match at Stamford Bridge
, total value £677.04 (£338.52 per person)
Date received: 22 January 2017
Date accepted: 22 January 2017
Donor status: company, registration 01716184
(Registered 16 February 2017
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from