Shailesh Vara campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Shailesh Vara’s voting in Parliament
Shailesh Vara is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Shailesh Vara sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Shailesh Vara generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Shailesh Vara’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Shailesh Vara’s full vote analysis page for more.
Shailesh Vara has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) does not hold accurate information on the volumes of appeals received against claims for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP). The tables below provide information on the number of appeals against decisions taken on ESA and PIP claims that were found in favour of the appellant in Birkenhead and Great...
Will the right hon. Gentleman give way?
Judicial training is the responsibility of the Lord Chief Justice and is exercised through the Judicial College. To fulfil their judicial decision making responsibilities magistrates, their legal advisers and District Judges (Magistrates’ Courts) receive comprehensive induction and continuation training in across the jurisdictions, which includes new legislation. It is not however...
More of Shailesh Vara’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for North West Cambridgeshire
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Departmental Data Protection
- Departmental Written Questions
- Departmental Art Works
- Departmental Reviews
- Human Trafficking
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (9 Jul 2015 to 18 Jul 2016)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Jul 2016)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 2011 to 14 Jan 2013)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (8 Nov 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 11 Dec 2006)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 40 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Shailesh Vara’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 94.08% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 35 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 120 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 345 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 1 Aug 2016.
Name of donor: (1) The Art of Living Foundation
(UK); (2) Vyakti Vikas Kendra India
Address of donor: (1) 96 Hartland Drive, Edgware, Middlesex; (2) 21st Kanakpura Road, Art of Living International Ashram, Bangalore 560 082, India
Amount of donation: (1) Return flight to and from India, £1,381.15; (2) in New Delhi, transportation, accommodation and some meals, £640.
Destination of visit: New Delhi, India
Date of visit: 10 - 14 March 2016
Purpose of visit: To speak at the Global Leadership Forum and attend the World Culture Festival. (I also met with the Prime Minister
(Registered 07 April 2016
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from