Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Brooks Newmark's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
25 votes for, 0 votes against, 6 absences, between 2010–2015
Almost always voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2012
Generally voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2011
Consistently voted for greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
11 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2013–2014
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
17 votes for, 30 votes against, 15 absences, between 2008–2014
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
15 votes for, 1 vote against, 5 absences, between 2008–2013
We have lots more plain English analysis of Brooks Newmark’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Brooks Newmark’s full vote analysis page for more.
Does right hon. Friend agree that the camaraderie in the Whips Office is a unique experience that he and I had together? Once a Whip, always a Whip.
I am sure that my right hon. Friend would like some more time. I am very much enjoying his speech, and I am interested in hearing his next point.
Will my right hon. Friend give way again?
More of Brooks Newmark’s recent appearances
Former Conservative MP for Braintree
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Education and Skills
- Innovation and Skills
- Departmental Expenditure
- Motor Vehicles: Glass
- Post Offices: Information and Communications Technology
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office (15 Jul 2014 to 27 Sep 2014)
- Member, Treasury Committee (5 Nov 2012 to 12 Sep 2014)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Government Whip (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (1 Jan 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (3 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Treasury Committee (16 Jan 2006 to 17 Jul 2007)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (17 Jul 2005 to 2 Jul 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Brooks Newmark’s speeches
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 79.82% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 54 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 231 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
(a) The Allele Fund; invests primarily in healthcare startups. Limited Partner. (Registered 18 February 2014)
I have shareholdings in the following collective investment schemes which therefore do not require registration under Category 9 above: AP
Alternative Assets LP
, a closed ended investment company
; Apollo European Credit Fund LP, a closed end debt fund; and Bridges Community Development Venture Fund II
LP, which primarily invests in start ups in areas of deprivation. (Registered 18 February 2014; updated 26 February 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from