Alasdair McDonnell campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Alasdair McDonnell’s voting in Parliament
Alasdair McDonnell is a Social Democratic and Labour Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Social Democratic and Labour Party MPs.
This is a selection of Alasdair McDonnell’s votes.
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alasdair McDonnell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alasdair McDonnell’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alasdair McDonnell has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
I commend the right hon. Member for Broxtowe (Anna Soubry) for her sanity and common sense, and the right hon. and learned Member for Rushcliffe (Mr Clarke) for bringing a degree of integrity to the discussion. Does the Secretary of State for Exiting the EU recognise that I, and thousands of others in Northern Ireland, will not be leaving the EU willingly? We recognise the very significant...
Will the Secretary of State share with us more of his thoughts on what he expects to happen after an election in Northern Ireland? Does he accept that the problems will remain? Without his calling a public inquiry on the RHI or, if he cannot find a way to do that, his making it clear that he fully supports a public inquiry, public confidence in our political settlement will sink even lower,...
Dr T.K. Whitaker was one of the constant voices for peace and reconciliation in Ireland, between north and south, and between Ireland and Britain, over his outstanding lifetime in public service. Dr Whitaker died last night, four weeks after his 100th birthday. Will the Secretary of State join me in offering our sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of Rostrevor, County Down-born...
More of Alasdair McDonnell’s recent appearances
Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for Belfast South, Former Social Democratic and Labour Party MLA for Belfast South
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 28 June 2015 — Resigned
Topics of interest
- Northern Ireland
- HM Treasury
- Work and Pensions
- Northern Ireland
- Rates Collection Agency
- Invest Northern Ireland
- Hip Replacements
- Pancreatic Cancer
Currently held offices
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Leader of the Social Democratic & Labour Party (15 Nov 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Chief Whip (6 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (1 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Business, Innoviation and Skills) (5 Jun 2009 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Europe) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Jul 2007 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Education) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2008)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Jan 2017.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Smallholding/farm in Co Antrim
: (i) and (ii).
House in Belfast: (i) and (ii).
Part-owner of Ormeau Health Centre and adjacent property, Lower Ormeau Road, Belfast, from which rental income is received. See category 7 below: (i) and (ii).
Holiday house in Glenarriffe, Co Antrim, currently being refurbished and from which rental income is not currently received: (i).
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Arrow Travel, Belfast.
Ormeau Health Centre. See category 6 above.
Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast (unpaid) (Updated 28 January 2014
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from