Alasdair McDonnell campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Alasdair McDonnell’s voting in Parliament
Alasdair McDonnell is a Social Democratic and Labour Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Social Democratic and Labour Party MPs.
This is a selection of Alasdair McDonnell’s votes.
Voted a mixture of for and against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 4 votes against, 19 absences, between 2010–2015
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, between 2010–2016
Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions
Generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 5 absences, between 2007–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 4 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 7 votes against, 5 absences, between 2013–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alasdair McDonnell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alasdair McDonnell’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alasdair McDonnell has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 8 Feb 2017
Does the right hon. Gentleman not understand how serious this issue is? Does he not understand that he will not have a UK if he keeps going on with arrogance, with intolerance and with insensitivity? We spent 30 years getting a peace process together. We do not want to see any more dead bodies. Quite simply, what is going on here, with the intolerance that some Members are showing, is scaring...
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will respond to the report from Freedom From Torture, Proving Torture, on its findings on the level of certainty required by her Department for asylum seekers to prove that they have experienced torture.
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, pursuant to the Written Statement of 21 July 2016, HCWS125, whether his Department has undertaken an assessment of whether the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen has committed any breaches of international humanitarian law.
More of Alasdair McDonnell’s recent appearances
Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for Belfast South, Former Social Democratic and Labour Party MLA for Belfast South
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 28 June 2015 — Resigned
Topics of interest
- Northern Ireland
- HM Treasury
- Work and Pensions
- Northern Ireland
- Rates Collection Agency
- Invest Northern Ireland
- Hip Replacements
- Pancreatic Cancer
Currently held offices
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Leader of the Social Democratic & Labour Party (15 Nov 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Chief Whip (6 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (1 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Business, Innoviation and Skills) (5 Jun 2009 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Europe) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Jul 2007 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Education) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2008)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 20 Feb 2017.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Smallholding/farm in Co Antrim
: (i) and (ii).
House in Belfast: (i) and (ii).
Part-owner of Ormeau Health Centre and adjacent property, Lower Ormeau Road, Belfast, from which rental income is received. See category 7 below: (i) and (ii).
Holiday house in Glenarriffe, Co Antrim, currently being refurbished and from which rental income is not currently received: (i).
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Arrow Travel, Belfast.
Ormeau Health Centre. See category 6 above.
Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast (unpaid) (Updated 28 January 2014
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from