A selection of Alasdair McDonnell's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 11 absences, between 2011–2016
Generally voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 9 absences, between 2011–2016
Generally voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 8 votes against, 9 absences, between 2012–2014
Generally voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
2 votes for, 2 votes against, 4 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 25 votes against, 29 absences, between 2012–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alasdair McDonnell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alasdair McDonnell’s full vote analysis page for more.
Like many in Northern Ireland, I am saddened that we have come to this impasse which has created the issues we are trying to solve. There are so many problems that need to be faced, but we will not face them or solve them by trading insults or abuse. I will attempt to be as positive as possible and I will avoid that well known pastime in Northern Ireland called whataboutery. I pay tribute to...
The record will show that the right hon. Gentleman referred to a murder in a bar and the only murder in a bar was that of Robert McCartney. I was active politically in criticising both the murder of Jock Davison and the murder of Kevin McGuigan.
I am being heckled here.
More of Alasdair McDonnell’s recent appearances
Former Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for Belfast South, Former Social Democratic and Labour Party MLA for Belfast South
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 3 May 2017 — Dissolved for election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 28 June 2015 — Resigned
Topics of interest
Alasdair McDonnell campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Northern Ireland
- HM Treasury
- Work and Pensions
- Northern Ireland
- Rates Collection Agency
- Invest Northern Ireland
- Hip Replacements
- Pancreatic Cancer
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (6 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Leader of the Social Democratic & Labour Party (15 Nov 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Chief Whip (6 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (1 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Business, Innoviation and Skills) (5 Jun 2009 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Europe) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Jul 2007 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Education) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2008)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Alasdair McDonnell’s speeches
- Has received answers to 29 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 38.54% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 95 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 73 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Smallholding/farm in Co Antrim
: (i) and (ii).
House in Belfast: (i) and (ii).
Part-owner of Ormeau Health Centre and adjacent property, Lower Ormeau Road, Belfast, from which rental income is received. See category 7 below: (i) and (ii).
Holiday house in Glenarriffe, Co Antrim, currently being refurbished and from which rental income is not currently received: (i).
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Arrow Travel, Belfast.
Ormeau Health Centre. See category 6 above.
Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast (unpaid) (Updated 28 January 2014
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from