A selection of Iain Wright's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
1 vote for, 3 votes against, between 2010–2011
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 17 votes against, 6 absences, between 2010–2015
Consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2011–2016
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2007–2016
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 47 votes against, 5 absences, between 2014–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Iain Wright’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Iain Wright’s full vote analysis page for more.
I am thankful for, and moved by, the Minister’s tributes to me, my hon. Friend the Member for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland (Tom Blenkinsop) and other colleagues. He talked about funding increases in general terms, which is true, but we are also seeing record pupil numbers. Will he pledge that, as part of the national funding formula, we will see a rise in funding per pupil in...
We are not dead yet.
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, if she will make it her policy to increase the funding per pupil in Hartlepool constituency in real terms; and if she will make a statement.
More of Iain Wright’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Hartlepool
Entered the House of Commons on 30 September 2004 — Byelection
Left the House of Commons on 3 May 2017 — Dissolved for election
Topics of interest
Iain Wright campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Innovation and Skills
- Home Department
- Wind Power: Seas and Oceans
- Departmental Public Expenditure
- Green Investment Bank
- Departmental NDPBs
- Manufacturing Industries
Other offices held in the past
- Member, National Policy Statements Sub-Committee (20 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee (17 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (10 Feb 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Education, Skills and the Economy Sub-Committee (1 Dec 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (10 Sep 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Business, Innovation and Skills Committee (18 Jun 2015 to 17 Oct 2016)
- Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) (7 Oct 2011 to 18 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Education) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Minister (14-19 Reform and Apprenticeships) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Children, Schools and Families) (14-19 Reform and Apprenticeships) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Communities and Local Government) (29 Jun 2007 to 9 Jun 2009)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (15 Jan 2007 to 6 Nov 2007)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons Committee (7 Dec 2006 to 1 Jul 2008)
- PPS (Rt Hon Rosie Winterton, Minister of State), Department of Health (27 Jun 2006 to 6 Sep 2006)
- PPS (Ms Rosie Winterton, Minister of State), Department of Health (10 Nov 2005 to 27 Jun 2006)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (19 Jan 2005 to 12 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 26 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Iain Wright’s speeches
- Has received answers to 40 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 73.88% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 18 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 81 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 698 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Northumbrian Water Ltd
Address of donor: Boldon House, Wheatlands Way, Pity Me, Durham DH1 5FA
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: Two tickets to a football match, with hospitality, value £780
Date received: 27 May 2016
Date accepted: 27 May 2016
Donor status: company, registration no 2366703
(Registered 27 May 2016)
Name of donor: Teeside University
Address of donor: Middlesbrough TS1 3BX
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: ticket with hospitality to a football match, value £340
Date received: 30 April 2017
Date accepted: 30 April 2017
Donor status: other
(Registered 02 May 2017)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from