A selection of David Wright's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
Consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of David Wright’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit David Wright’s full vote analysis page for more.
Is my hon. Friend interested, as I am, in the line developed by the Liberal Democrats that the 50p rate was in place only at the end of the previous Labour Government for a very short time?
Indeed. This is all about the choices made to bring down the deficit. We made a choice—a forward offer or plan—to use a higher top rate of income tax to bring down the deficit, and the Liberal Democrats decided to vote against that strategy.
When the Chancellor decided to increase VAT, he must have asked Treasury officials to produce projections on its likely impact on the economy at that point. It would be interesting, would it not, to compare the projections given to him by Treasury officials with an official report, which this new clause suggests should be commissioned, to see whether the two tally up?
More of David Wright’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Telford
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Local Government and the Regions
- World Heritage Sites
- Revenue and Customs
- Revenue and Customs: Telford
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Administration Committee (1 Jul 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (17 Jan 2011 to 8 Mar 2011)
- Member, Committee of Selection (13 Oct 2010 to 9 May 2013)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (8 Oct 2010 to 16 Oct 2012)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (10 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Communities and Local Government Committee (9 Mar 2009 to 13 Jul 2009)
- PPS (Rt Hon Jane Kennedy, Minister of State), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (16 Oct 2008 to 16 Jan 2009)
- PPS (Rt Hon Jane Kennedy, Financial Secretary), HM Treasury (28 Jun 2007 to 16 Oct 2008)
- Member, Communities and Local Government Committee (15 Jan 2007 to 6 Nov 2007)
- PPS (Rt Hon John Hutton, Secretary of State), Department for Work and Pensions (8 May 2006 to 6 Sep 2006)
- PPS (Rt Hon David Miliband, Minister of State (Cabinet)), Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (10 Nov 2005 to 8 May 2006)
- PPS (Ms Rosie Winterton, Minister of State), Department of Health (10 Apr 2005 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Draft Civil Contingencies Bill (Joint Committee) (10 Jul 2003 to 28 Nov 2003)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Administration Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 14 Jan 2002)
- Member, Procedure Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all David Wright’s speeches
- Has received answers to 13 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 77.80% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 11 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 67 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 155 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Payments from ComRes, Four Millbank, London SW1P 3JA, for participation in opinion surveys:
24 April 2014
, £75 received for participation in February/March 2014
Parliamentary Panel survey. Hours: 30 mins. Payment donated to local organisations. (Registered 28 April 2014)
6 June 2014
, £75 received for participation in April 2014 Parliamentary Panel survey. Hours: 30 mins. Payment donated to local organisations. (Registered 10 June 2014)
29 July 2014
, £75 received for participation in May-June 2014 Parliamentary Panel survey. Hours: 30 mins. Payment donated to local organisations. (Registered 13 August 2014)
29 September 2014
, £75 received for participation in July 2014 Parliamentary Panel survey. Hours: 30 mins. Payment donated to local organisations. (Registered 6 October 2014)
18 November 2014
, £75 received for participation in October 2014 Parliamentary Panel survey. Hours: 30 mins. Payment donated to local organisations. (Registered 26 November 2014)
12 February 2015
, £75 received for participation in November 2014 Parliamentary Panel survey. Hours: 30 mins. Payment donated to local organisations. (Registered 24 February 2015)
Payments from Ipsos MORI
, 79-81 Borough Road, London, SE1 1FY, for participation in opinion surveys:
16 September 2014, £200 received for participation in survey of MPs. Hours: 1 hr. Payment donated to local organisation. (Registered 14 October 2014)
27 January 2015
, £200 received for participation in 2014 Winter Survey of MPs. Hours: 1 hr 30 mins. Payment donated to local organisations. (Registered 4 February 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from