Pete Wishart’s voting in Parliament
Pete Wishart is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
This is a selection of Pete Wishart’s votes.
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
64 votes for, 24 votes against, 21 absences, between 2008–2018
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 42 votes against, 9 absences, between 2012–2016
Consistently voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2013
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
5 votes for, 13 votes against, 8 absences, between 2010–2015
Has never voted on reducing central government funding of local government
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 9 votes against, 2 absences, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Pete Wishart’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Pete Wishart’s full vote analysis page for more.
Pete Wishart has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 21 Feb 2018
I thank the Leader of the House for announcing the business for next week. I, too, welcome the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, and of course Mental Health Awareness Week. In Scotland last week, we had the tragic death of Scott Hutchison, the lead singer of the wonderful Frightened Rabbit. His loss has galvanised all of Scotland and has helped to re-focus...
I take great exception to what the hon. Gentleman has said. This is an important Bill; he may not be interested in the words of Denning LJ, but my colleagues and I are. We want to make sure that this House is aware of the weighty views of Denning LJ, whoever he may be. So there is a general rule. It had been the practice of the Valuation Office Agency that where units of property were...
I always enjoy enlightening my hon. Friend, although it is usually not necessary. I feel obliged to try to offer further enlightenment on these particular issues. There are other examples. I gave the example of my house, but my hon. Friend is a crofter, and I am pretty certain that his is a single dwelling on the isle of Barra—in fact, I know it because I have seen his place on several...
More of Pete Wishart’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Perth and North Perthshire
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Also represented North Tayside
Topics of interest
Pete Wishart campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Culture Media and Sport
- Departmental Expenditure
- Press Releases
- Departmental ICT
- Asylum: Finance
Currently held offices
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 6 Nov 2017)
- Chair, Scottish Affairs Committee (since 12 Jul 2017)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Constitution) (since 20 Jun 2017)
- Shadow SNP Leader of the House of Commons (since 20 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (10 Nov 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (10 Sep 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Scottish Affairs Committee (18 Jun 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission (15 Jun 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow SNP Westminster Group Leader (Leader of the House of Commons) (20 May 2015 to 20 Jun 2017)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (18 Nov 2010 to 9 Nov 2012)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Culture and Sport) (15 Jun 2010 to 20 May 2015)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Constitution) (15 Jun 2010 to 20 May 2015)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (24 Nov 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (1 Jan 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (10 Oct 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Justice) (10 Oct 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 24 Nov 2008)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Cabinet Office) (10 May 2005 to 10 Oct 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (International Development) (10 May 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Catering Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (10 May 2001 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (10 May 2001 to 5 May 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Transport) (10 May 2001 to 5 May 2005)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 86 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Pete Wishart’s speeches
- Has received answers to 8 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 74.05% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 94 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Pete Wishart’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 788 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 14 May 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
I receive royalty payments from EMI and from Ridge Records for my recorded works with Runrig, with whom I serve as an unremunerated director. Addresses: EMI House, 43 Brook Green, London W6 7EF and Ridge Records Limited, 1 York Street, Aberdeen AB11 5DL.
17 December 2017
, I received £639.11 for my recorded works from Ridge Records. No additional hours worked. (Registered 18 December 2017)
Fees received for appearing as part of Parliamentary rock band "MP4" on the Dave TV
series ‘Unspun’ produced by Avalon Productions of 4A Exmoor St, London W10 6BD:
13 April 2018
, received £1,800 for shows between 28 January and 24 March 2018
. Hours: 13.5 hours (4.5 hours per week). (Registered 08 May 2018
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from