Michael Weir campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Michael Weir’s voting in Parliament
Michael Weir is a Scottish National Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Scottish National Party MPs.
However, Michael Weir sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Michael Weir generally voted against higher taxes on banks, while most Scottish National Party MPs generally voted for.
Michael Weir generally voted for requiring pub companies to offer pub landlords rent-only leases, while most Scottish National Party MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Michael Weir’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Michael Weir’s full vote analysis page for more.
Michael Weir has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
I hear what the Minister is saying, but does he not accept that the continuing uncertainty might lead to people drifting away from the UK? That could have a serious impact on the NHS, public services and many businesses.
It is not rhetoric; I was asking a question!
I am pleased to appear under your chairmanship, Mr Davies. I congratulate the hon. Member for Shrewsbury and Atcham (Daniel Kawczynski) on securing this important debate. We have heard a lot about the second world war, but the connections between Scotland and Poland go back much further; indeed, Bonnie Prince Charlie was partly of Polish descent. We must also remember that, for example, two...
More of Michael Weir’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Angus
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Topics of interest
- Trade and Industry
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Expenditure
- Public Consultation
- Public Appointments
- Fair Trade
- Departmental Assets
Currently held offices
- SNP Chief Whip (since 20 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (15 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Business) (15 Jun 2010 to 20 May 2015)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (26 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (5 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (19 Jan 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Business and Enterprise Committee (10 Mar 2008 to 19 Jan 2009)
- Member, Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Committee (19 Nov 2007 to 10 Mar 2008)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (28 Jun 2007 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (24 May 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (10 May 2005 to 10 Oct 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (10 May 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (28 Feb 2004 to 30 Oct 2004)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (28 Feb 2004 to 30 Oct 2004)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (28 Feb 2004 to 30 Oct 2004)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
- International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Chairman, Taxation of Pensions Bill Committee (1 out of 4)
- Chairman, Leasehold Reform (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Local Audit and AccountabilityBill Committee (5 out of 9)
- PARTNERSHIPS (PROSECUTION) (SCOTLAND) BILL [LORDS] Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Prisons (Interference with Wireless Telegraphy) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Energy Bill Committee (16 out of 16)
- Chairman, Welfare Reform Bill Committee (11 out of 26)
- Postal Services Bill Committee (14 out of 21)
- Energy Bill Committee (12 out of 12)
- Children, Schools and Families Bill Committee (4 out of 12)
- Climate Change Bill Committee (8 out of 10)
- Chairman, Parliament (Joint Departments) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Child Maintenance and Other Payments Bill Committee (11 out of 11)
- Chairman, Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress Bill Committee (4 out of 6)
- Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Bill Committee (3 out of 3)
- Chairman, Commons Bill Committee (2 out of 4)
- Child Trust Funds Bill Committee (4 out of 7)
- Energy Bill Committee (12 out of 14)
- Fireworks Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Sunday Working (Scotland) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Sep 2016.
1. Employment and earnings
Payments from YouGov, 50 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8RT, for completing surveys (all paid directly to local charities):
7 July 2015
, payment of £70. Hours: 15 mins. (Registered 13 January 2016)
29 July 2015, payment of £50. Hours: 15 mins. (Registered 13 January 2016)
20 October 2015
, payment of £50. Hours: 15 mins. (Registered 13 January 2016)
17 October 2015, payment of £80. Hours: 15 mins. (Registered 13 January 2016)
14 December 2015
, payment of £30. Hours: 15 mins. (Registered 13 January 2016)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from