Hugo Swire campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Hugo Swire’s voting in Parliament
Hugo Swire is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Hugo Swire’s votes.
Almost always voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
Consistently voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Almost always voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Hugo Swire’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Hugo Swire’s full vote analysis page for more.
Hugo Swire has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
The right hon. Gentleman will have heard what my hon. Friend the Member for Cannock Chase (Amanda Milling) said, citing Sir Steve Smith, the vice-chancellor of Exeter University. He will also be aware of the huge number of overseas students at Exeter University, which make it one of the leading universities in the country, if not in the world. I know that the Minister shares my view about...
Has my hon. Friend made any study of the outrageous discrimination suffered by English students studying at Scottish universities after we come out of the European Union?
The EU Trust Fund will become established following formal signature of a peace agreement between the Government of Colombia and the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia). Civil society can play a key role in successful implementation of a Colombian peace deal. In discussions with the EU institutions, the UK has repeatedly encouraged inclusion of civil society organisations in the EU...
More of Hugo Swire’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for East Devon
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Culture Media and Sport
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Olympic Games: Greater London
- National Lottery
- London Olympics
Other offices held in the past
- The Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (6 Sep 2012 to 17 Jul 2016)
- The Minister of State, Northern Ireland Office (13 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Chair, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (11 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (10 May 2005 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Minister (Culture, Media and Sport) (1 Jan 2004 to 10 May 2005)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2003 to 1 Jun 2004)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (2 Dec 2002 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (11 Jul 2001 to 11 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 18 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Hugo Swire’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 74.77% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 95 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Hugo Swire’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 486 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from