A selection of Mark Simmonds's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 2003–2012
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
15 votes for, 39 votes against, 14 absences, between 2008–2014
Almost always voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 3 votes against, in 2010
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
17 votes for, 1 vote against, 4 absences, between 2008–2013
Generally voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
0 votes for, 3 votes against, 2 absences, in 2013
Generally voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
23 votes for, 1 vote against, 7 absences, between 2010–2015
We have lots more plain English analysis of Mark Simmonds’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Mark Simmonds’s full vote analysis page for more.
It is a pleasure to follow the hon. Member for West Bromwich West (Mr Bailey), but he will not be surprised to hear that I did not agree with his analysis at all. I gently ask him to reflect on how he will explain to his constituents during the election campaign his party’s plans to reduce the deficit, because we got none of that detail during the shadow Chancellor’s...
We provide a high level of support to families whose loved ones are murdered or on trial abroad, alongside UK police and specialist non-governmental organisations which we part-fund. Support can include providing additional information about local lawyers, accompanying families to meetings and attending trials at key points. We are currently reviewing what additional support is possible and...
I am well aware that the hon. Gentleman has a particularly sensitive case in his constituency, but I can assure him that we look at the individual circumstances of every case and an assessment is made of vulnerability. We use NGOs such as Missing Abroad, which can help secure free or cheap flights. Also, we use NGOs to provide video conferencing facilities to enable loved ones to watch the...
More of Mark Simmonds’s recent appearances
Former Conservative MP for Boston and Skegness
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- International Development
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Education and Skills
- Home Department
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (6 Sep 2012 to 11 Aug 2014)
- Shadow Minister (Health) (3 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (International Development) (10 May 2005 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (1 Jun 2004 to 10 May 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Education) (1 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2004)
- Shadow Minister (Health) (1 Jun 2003 to 30 Jan 2004)
- Member, Education & Skills Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 8 Dec 2003)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 9 Jan 2003)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Mark Simmonds’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.34% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 60 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 319 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
Non-Executive Deputy Chairman, Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council, 78 Belgrave Road London SW1V 2BJ; a not for profit organisation stimulating and supporting intra-commonwealth trade. (Registered 9 December 2014)
£5,416 received for providing strategic advice between 20 October and 30 November 2014
. Hours: 12 hrs. (Registered 11 December 2014)
£4,000 received for providing strategic advice between 1 December 2014 and 30 December 2014. Hours: 10 hrs. (Registered 27 January 2015)
£4,000 received for providing strategic advice between 1 January 2015 and 31 January 2015. Hours: 10 hrs. (Registered 25 February 2015)
£4,000 received for providing strategic advice between 1 February 2015 and 28 February 2015. Hours: 10 hrs. (Registered 16 March 2015)
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) Mortlock Simmonds Ltd; chartered surveyors.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from