A selection of Alan Reid's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Almost always voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
Almost always voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Almost always voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
Generally voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alan Reid’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alan Reid’s full vote analysis page for more.
Thank you, Mr Speaker. I am glad that Machrihanish is on the shortlist to become the UK’s first spaceport. It is far from any centres of population, it has a 3-km runway and the facilities of an RAF base, and I believe that it is the ideal candidate. I hope that the Department for Transport will support Machrihanish’s case.
What steps he is taking to secure the return of the UK citizens who were aboard the MV Seaman Guard Ohio when she was detained by the Indian authorities.
I thank the Minister for that answer, but it is now eight months since an Indian court quashed the charges against my constituent Billy Irving. He, and the other UK citizens, are still unable to leave India because the legal process has ground to a halt. Will the Foreign Office redouble its efforts to persuade the Indian authorities to conclude the legal process quickly and get these men home?
More of Alan Reid’s recent appearances
Former Liberal Democrat MP for Argyll and Bute
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Gaelic Language
- Sustainable Development
- Postal Services
- Illegal Meat Imports
- Post Office Card Account
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (13 May 2010 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Scotland) (20 Dec 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Northern Ireland) (10 Mar 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Trade and Industry) (10 May 2005 to 10 Mar 2006)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 41 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Alan Reid’s speeches
- Has received answers to 2 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 85.96% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 72 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 311 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from