What a momentous day today, Mr Speaker. I was able to vote for a victory on the Labour side, which makes it a great day for me to finish my parliamentary career. Coming here was the last thing on my mind when I left school at the age of 15 and I went down the pit on my 16th birthday. I worked in the collieries for about 20 years through the dark days of the miners’ strike. I shall touch...
I am mindful of the time, Mr Speaker, but I think it important to remember that, while one role of the Whips is to enforce the position of the party that they represent, the second role—the role that is not seen—is the compassionate role. May I suggest a change that could be made by the two major parties? They should appoint a senior Whip to be in charge of the welfare of Members,...
More of David Hamilton’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Midlothian
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Home Department
- Coal Industry
- Defence Activities: Scotland
- Terrorism: Detainees
- Television: Sports
Other offices held in the past
- Opposition Assistant Whip (Commons) (8 Oct 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- PPS (Rt Hon Edward Miliband, Secretary of State), Department for Energy and Climate Change (30 Dec 2008 to 16 Jan 2009)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (9 Nov 2007 to 4 Feb 2008)
- Member, Defence Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 2 Nov 2010)
- Member, European Scrutiny Committee (28 Jun 2005 to 25 Apr 2007)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (23 Oct 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (10 Feb 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Procedure Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all David Hamilton’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 77.16% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 46 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 127 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
(a) Address of donor: Unite House, 128 Theobalds Road, London WC1X 8TN
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
6. Overseas visits
Name of donor: The Taipei Representative Office in the UK
Address of donor: 50 Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0EB
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): the approximate amount includes accommodation £600, food £300 and return flights £2,400; total £3,300
Destination of visit: Taiwan
Purpose of visit: As part of the British-Taiwanese APPG
, to promote the understanding of Taiwan and strengthen UK-Taiwan relations.
(Registered 6 August 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from