Chris Grayling’s voting in Parliament
Chris Grayling is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Chris Grayling’s votes.
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
19 votes for, 3 votes against, 4 absences, between 2010–2015
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
5 votes for, 7 votes against, 1 absence, between 2004–2017
Almost always voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
6 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
21 votes for, 54 votes against, 18 absences, between 2008–2017
Almost always voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
13 votes for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, between 2012–2014
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2007–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Chris Grayling’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Chris Grayling’s full vote analysis page for more.
Chris Grayling has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
The impact of disruption at the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel in Kent can lead to significant congestion in that county and further afield. In the event of such disruption, Operation Stack is deployed which queues lorries on the M20 until they can access their ferry or train, closing parts of the motorway to other traffic. However, it has been accepted that this is not an ideal contingency...
This time last year, the government selected a new Northwest Runway at Heathrow as its preferred scheme for delivering much-needed new airport capacity in the south east. This was a move made in the national interest – to spread the opportunity to travel and trade throughout the UK, through more flights between our global aviation hub and our regional airports. In the last 12 months...
More of Chris Grayling’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Epsom and Ewell
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Topics of interest
Chris Grayling campaigned to leave the European Union
- Home Department
- Local Government and the Regions
- Work and Pensions
- Network Rail
- London Underground
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Transport (since 14 Jul 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Palace of Westminster (Joint Committee) (16 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (18 May 2015 to 14 Jul 2016)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (8 May 2015 to 14 Jul 2016)
- Member, House of Commons Commission (8 May 2015 to 14 Jul 2016)
- Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons (8 May 2015 to 14 Jul 2016)
- The Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice (6 Sep 2012 to 8 May 2015)
- The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions (13 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Minister (Home Affairs) (19 Jan 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (3 Jul 2007 to 19 Jan 2009)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (8 Dec 2005 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons Committee (15 Jul 2005 to 16 Jan 2006)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (10 May 2005 to 8 Dec 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Education) (10 May 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Transport Committee (22 Jul 2002 to 2 Dec 2002)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (10 Jul 2002 to 20 Dec 2002)
- Shadow Minister (Health) (10 May 2002 to 10 May 2003)
- Member, Transport Sub-committee (16 Jul 2001 to 22 Jul 2002)
- Member, Transport, Local Government & The Regions Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 22 Jul 2002)
- Member, Urban Affairs Sub-committee (16 Jul 2001 to 22 Jul 2002)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Chris Grayling’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 95.24% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 39 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 176 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Chris Grayling’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1736 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 13 Nov 2017.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: Royal Automobile Club
Address of donor: Woodcote Park Clubhouse, Wilmerhatch Lane, Epsom KT
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: honorary membership for the duration of my time as the MP
for Epsom and Ewell, valued at £1,600 per annum
Date received: 1 January 2013
Date accepted: 1 January 2013
Donor status: company, registration 3570702
(Registered 11 May 2013
; updated 04 August 2016
Name of donor: Epsom Downs Racecourse
Address of donor: Surrey KT18 5LQ
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: two racecourse passes for 2016, total value £450
Date of receipt: 6 June 2016
Date of acceptance: 6 June 2016
Donor status: company, registration 01752969
(Registered 26 July 2016
Name of donor: FA Premier League
Address of donor: 30 Gloucester Place, London W1U 8PL
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: two tickets with hospitality for the EFL Cup
final, estimated value £350
Date received: 26 February 2017
Date accepted: 26 February 2017
Donor status: company, registration 02719699
(Registered 02 May 2017
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Two terraced houses in London: (i) and (ii).
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from