Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Nigel Dodds's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, between 2011–2016
Almost always voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
1 vote for, 6 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2011–2016
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2007–2016
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2013
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
16 votes for, 93 votes against, 36 absences, between 2008–2019
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nigel Dodds’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nigel Dodds’s full vote analysis page for more.
Right across this House, and right across Northern Ireland, there will be a very warm welcome for the Government bringing forward this legislation to get it on the statute book before Dissolution. I thank everybody involved in this House, the Secretary of State and, most importantly, the campaigners for the day we have now reached.
Thank you, Mr Speaker-Elect. It gives me great pleasure to be able to call you that and to wish you well. I want to thank the Father of the House for the way that he conducted the election, and the staff of the House as well. You have already demonstrated in your role in the Chair on certain occasions how you intend to conduct yourself, and I think that will be welcome across the House. I...
Just to emphasise the consensus on that point, I want to back up what has been said by the Chairman of the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee and other right hon. and hon. Members. This matter has been raised at every opportunity today in this House, including questions to the Prime Minister and to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. We do need to get the Historical Institutional...
More of Nigel Dodds’s recent appearances
Former DUP MP for Belfast North, Former DUP MLA for Belfast North
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 6 November 2019 — Dissolved for election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 10 September 2010 — Resigned
Topics of interest
Nigel Dodds campaigned to leave the European Union
- Northern Ireland
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Department
- Parades Commission
- Fuel Poverty
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Brexit) (1 Jul 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Reform and Constitutional Issues) (8 May 2015 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Foreign Affairs) (8 May 2015 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Justice) (1 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (1 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- DUP Westminster Leader (6 May 2010 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (9 Nov 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (9 Nov 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 18 May 2009)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Without Portfolio) (4 Jun 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Without portfolio (4 Jun 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform) (1 Jun 2007 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Justice) (1 Jun 2007 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jun 2005 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jun 2005 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jun 2008)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 67 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Nigel Dodds’s speeches
- Has received answers to 69 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 86.18% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 51 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 555 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)