Alistair Carmichael’s voting in Parliament
Alistair Carmichael is a Liberal Democrat MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Liberal Democrat MPs.
However, Alistair Carmichael sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Alistair Carmichael generally voted against smoking bans, while most Liberal Democrat MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alistair Carmichael’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alistair Carmichael’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alistair Carmichael has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 5 Sep 2018
At the best of times, fishing is the most hazardous peacetime occupation. In the years since I left school, no fewer than five men who were with me at Islay High School have lost their lives while making their living at sea. That is why the sort of behaviour we witnessed on 27 August is simply unforgivable. When the Minister speaks to his opposite number in France, will he impress upon that...
May we have an early debate or a statement from Transport Ministers about the management of the volunteers who give their services to our coastguard rescue service? I fear that we are heading to a crisis in Orkney and Shetland that will see substantial or possibly even mass resignations by local volunteers. There seems to be a lack of respect from many in coastguard headquarters in...
May I invite the Secretary of State to join me in commending Naomi Long on the initiative she took earlier this week in relation to getting the parties together at Stormont and talking? It is surely apparent now that the exercise in collective hand-wringing that we are all engaged in here today is not going to bring about the change that we need. In the past, when we reached an impasse of...
More of Alistair Carmichael’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Orkney and Shetland
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Topics of interest
Alistair Carmichael campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Trade and Industry
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Crown Estate
- Departmental Postal Services
- Royal Prerogative
Currently held offices
- Liberal Democrat Chief Whip (since 16 Jun 2017)
- Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (since 16 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee on Exiting the European Union (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (29 Jul 2015 to 16 Jun 2017)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 17 Oct 2016)
- The Secretary of State for Scotland (7 Oct 2013 to 8 May 2015)
- Comptroller (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Commons) (12 May 2010 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland (1 Jun 2008 to 12 Apr 2010)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (1 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (25 Mar 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (18 Oct 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (3 Mar 2006 to 18 Oct 2007)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 22 May 2006)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (10 May 2005 to 2 Mar 2006)
- Member, International Development Committee (5 Nov 2001 to 26 Feb 2002)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (10 May 2001 to 10 May 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Sep 2018.
Name of donor: Medical Aid for Palestinians
Address of donor: 33a Islington Park Street, London N1 1QB
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights, accommodation, food and transport with a total value of £1,260
Destination of visit: West Bank
Dates of visit: 28 August - 1 September 2017
Purpose of visit: Fact finding visit organised by the Council for Arab-British Understanding and Medical Aid for Palestinians.
(Registered 08 September 2017)
From 22 September 2017, unremunerated Director of the Council for Arab-British Understanding. (Registered 12 October 2017
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from