Alistair Carmichael’s voting in Parliament
Alistair Carmichael is a Liberal Democrat MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Liberal Democrat MPs.
However, Alistair Carmichael sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Alistair Carmichael generally voted against smoking bans, while most Liberal Democrat MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alistair Carmichael’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alistair Carmichael’s full vote analysis page for more.
Last updated: 19 Apr 2017
Support for renewable energy generation in island communities – Alistair Carmichael.
I thank the First Secretary for advance sight of his statement. My first thought on seeing it was that the Government had scraped the bottom of the pork barrel in reaching an agreement, but I suspect he will learn in the months to come that there is probably no bottom to that particular barrel. The Government cannot be blind to the fact that this agreement places in jeopardy their role under...
Will the Minister give way?
More of Alistair Carmichael’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Orkney and Shetland
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Topics of interest
Alistair Carmichael campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Trade and Industry
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Crown Estate
- Departmental Postal Services
- Royal Prerogative
Currently held offices
- Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (since 29 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee on Exiting the European Union (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 17 Oct 2016)
- The Secretary of State for Scotland (7 Oct 2013 to 8 May 2015)
- Comptroller (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Commons) (12 May 2010 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland (1 Jun 2008 to 12 Apr 2010)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (1 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (25 Mar 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (18 Oct 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (3 Mar 2006 to 18 Oct 2007)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 22 May 2006)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (10 May 2005 to 2 Mar 2006)
- Member, International Development Committee (5 Nov 2001 to 26 Feb 2002)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (10 May 2001 to 10 May 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
Name of donor: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Qatar
Address of donor: Qatar Embassy, 1 South Audley St, London W1K 1NB
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): air travel, food and accommodation to a value of £5,100
Destination of visit: Qatar
Date of visit: 14-17 February 2017
Purpose of visit: British-Qatar APPG
visit to meet Ministers and officials, visit proposed World Cup
sites and discuss bilateral relations and regional issues.
(Registered 08 March 2017
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from