Alistair Carmichael’s voting in Parliament
Alistair Carmichael is a Liberal Democrat MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Liberal Democrat MPs.
However, Alistair Carmichael sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Alistair Carmichael generally voted against smoking bans, while most Liberal Democrat MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alistair Carmichael’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alistair Carmichael’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alistair Carmichael has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 19 Dec 2018
On a point of order, Mr Speaker. I thank the Prime Minister for her assurance that the motion that will be brought on Monday will be amendable, and may I seek your guidance, Mr Speaker, about how we on this side of the House, and indeed on the Conservative Benches as well, who want to see this matter put to a people’s vote might on Monday be given the opportunity to do so, including the...
As I understand it, the Leader of the Opposition will allow his party to decide whether he will deliver Brexit should he become Prime Minister. His party has already decided that if he is not successful in getting a general election, he should support a people’s vote. If he does not win the vote tonight, will he then support moves in this House to give us a people’s vote?
More of Alistair Carmichael’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Orkney and Shetland
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Topics of interest
Alistair Carmichael campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Trade and Industry
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Crown Estate
- Departmental Postal Services
- Royal Prerogative
Currently held offices
- Liberal Democrat Chief Whip (since 16 Jun 2017)
- Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (since 16 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committee on Exiting the European Union (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (29 Jul 2015 to 16 Jun 2017)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 17 Oct 2016)
- The Secretary of State for Scotland (7 Oct 2013 to 8 May 2015)
- Comptroller (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Commons) (12 May 2010 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (9 Feb 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland (1 Jun 2008 to 12 Apr 2010)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (1 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (25 Mar 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (18 Oct 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (3 Mar 2006 to 18 Oct 2007)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 22 May 2006)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (10 May 2005 to 2 Mar 2006)
- Member, International Development Committee (5 Nov 2001 to 26 Feb 2002)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (10 May 2001 to 10 May 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 7 Jan 2019.
Name of donor: Kuwait National Assembly
Address of donor: Arabian Gulf Street, Kuwait City, Kuwait, PO
Box 716 Safat Postal Code 13008
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights, transport, food and accommodation with a value of £3,800
Destination of visit: Kuwait
Dates of visit: 6 - 9 November 2018
Purpose of visit: APPG
on Kuwait delegation to visit the Kuwait Parliament and to gain a better understanding of the important Kuwait/UK bilateral relationship.
(Registered 29 November 2018)
From 22 September 2017, unremunerated Director of the Council for Arab-British Understanding. (Registered 12 October 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)