A selection of David Cairns's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Consistently voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
Almost always voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of David Cairns’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit David Cairns’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office if the Government will allocate part of the budget for the 2011 Census awareness campaign to advertising through community radio stations.
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what recent assessment he has made of the state of the Iranian nuclear programme; and if he will make a statement.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health what plans he has to consult on the draft of his Department's forthcoming sexual health strategy.
More of David Cairns’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Inverclyde
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 9 May 2011 — Died
Also represented Greenock and Inverclyde
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- International Development
- Work and Pensions
- Culture Media and Sport
- Libraries and Archives Council
- Middle East: Peace Negotiations
- Middle East: International Assistance
- Palestinians: Overseas Aid
Other offices held in the past
- Minister of State, Scotland Office (28 Jun 2007 to 17 Sep 2008)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Scotland Office (9 May 2007 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (also Scotland Office), Scotland Office (10 May 2006 to 9 May 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (also Scotland Office), Northern Ireland Office (10 May 2006 to 9 May 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Scotland Office (17 May 2005 to 10 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Scotland Office (13 May 2005 to 16 May 2005)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Draft Civil Contingencies Bill (Joint Committee) (28 May 2004 to 11 Jun 2004)
- PPS (Malcolm Wicks, Minister of State), Department for Work and Pensions (13 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 22 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all David Cairns’s speeches
- Has received answers to 63 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 47.76% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 16 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 36 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 256 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 3 May 2011.
6. Overseas visits
Address of donor: Carlton House
, 27iA Carlton Drive, London SW15 2BS
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): £876, covering international flights, accommodation, visa, transport and subsistence.
Purpose of visit: to participate in VSO
’s Parliamentarian Volunteering Scheme
Address of donor: IAVI, Herengracht 208, 1016 BS
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): £1,860.32
Destination of visit: Kenya and Uganda
Purpose of visit: to visit field-trials for potential AIDS vaccines being carried out by IAVI, and meet with AIDS campaigners in both countries.
(Registered 25 January 2011)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from