A selection of John Barrett's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of John Barrett’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit John Barrett’s full vote analysis page for more.
What his most recent assessment is of the state of the economy in Scotland; and if he will make a statement.
The Minister and the Secretary of State will be aware that, in the past two years, 466 Scottish companies have been shut down by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs for not paying their bills on time. Currently, many solvent companies in Scotland are being pushed towards liquidation because of HMRC's actions. Will they have a word with the Chancellor of the Exchequer to get him to take the heat...
One issue that is raised repeatedly by hon. Members on both sides of the House is the inability of parents who care for disabled children to find child care. That makes it difficult for parents to obtain employment, and flexibility from employers is needed. The parent could be able-bodied, but the problems of child care and flexible working arrangements can be a barrier to employment and...
More of John Barrett’s recent appearances
Former Liberal Democrat MP for Edinburgh West
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- International Development
- Work and Pensions
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Members: Correspondence
- Tax Credits
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Work and Pensions Minister (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister, Work & Pensions (6 Mar 2008 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Shadow Minister, International Development (29 Jan 2007 to 21 Jul 2008)
- Shadow Minister, Scotland (6 Dec 2005 to 5 Jul 2007)
- Member, International Development Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 17 Apr 2007)
- Member, International Development Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Shadow Minister (International Development), International Development (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 34 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all John Barrett’s speeches
- Has received answers to 47 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 66.54% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 9 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 41 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 193 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from