Hilary Benn’s voting in Parliament
Hilary Benn is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Hilary Benn sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Hilary Benn voted for greater regulation of hydraulic fracturing (fracking) to extract shale gas, while most Labour MPs generally voted against. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Hilary Benn’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Hilary Benn’s full vote analysis page for more.
Hilary Benn has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
It is a great pleasure to follow the right hon. Member for Maldon (Mr Whittingdale), who is the vice-chair of the Exiting the European Union Committee, and with whom I have the pleasure to serve. May I also say to the right hon. Member for Aylesbury (Sir David Lidington) that he is absolutely right that the vast majority of the withdrawal agreement is as it was before, which is why I cannot...
I was surprised when I read that in the impact assessment, and the truth is that a whole load of questions remain about how the system will work. How will we identify goods at risk, as it is described, of passing into the Republic of Ireland? That is for another day.
I will give way one more time.
More of Hilary Benn’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leeds Central
Entered the House of Commons on 10 June 1999 — Byelection
Topics of interest
Hilary Benn campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Communities and Local Government
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Home Office
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Written Questions: Government Responses
- Written Questions
- Yemen: Military Intervention
- Housing: Construction
- Immigration: EU Nationals
Currently held offices
- Member, Liaison Committee Sub-committee on the effectiveness and influence of the select committee system (since 13 Feb 2019)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 6 Nov 2017)
- Chair, Committee on Exiting the European Union (since 12 Jul 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (19 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Committee on Exiting the European Union (19 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Foreign Secretary (8 May 2015 to 26 Jun 2016)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (7 Oct 2011 to 8 May 2015)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (26 Jan 2011 to 7 Dec 2011)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (28 Jun 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- The Secretary of State for International Development (6 Oct 2003 to 28 Jun 2007)
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (13 May 2003 to 6 Oct 2003)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Minister for Prisons and Probation) (29 May 2002 to 13 May 2003)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (11 Jun 2001 to 28 May 2002)
- Member, Environment, Transport & Regional Affairs Committee (6 Dec 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Environment Sub-committee (6 Dec 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Sep 2019.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Part-owner of house and small nature reserve in Essex: (i). (Updated 24 November 2014)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my wife, Sally Clark
, as part-time office manager/senior parliamentary assistant. (Updated 16 April 2019)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)