Hilary Benn campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Hilary Benn’s voting in Parliament
Hilary Benn is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Hilary Benn’s votes.
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Hilary Benn’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Hilary Benn’s full vote analysis page for more.
Hilary Benn has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, whether it is his policy that community services for people with learning disabilities should employ people with learning disabilities to provide those services.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many staff with learning difficulties are currently employed by each Transforming Care team.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what his policy is on encouraging Transforming Care teams to employ people with learning disabilities to help deliver services.
More of Hilary Benn’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leeds Central
Entered the House of Commons on 10 June 1999 — Byelection
Topics of interest
- Communities and Local Government
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Written Questions: Government Responses
- Written Questions
- Yemen: Military Intervention
- Housing: Construction
- Local Government Finance
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Foreign Secretary (8 May 2015 to 26 Jun 2016)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (7 Oct 2011 to 8 May 2015)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (26 Jan 2011 to 7 Dec 2011)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (28 Jun 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- The Secretary of State for International Development (6 Oct 2003 to 28 Jun 2007)
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (13 May 2003 to 6 Oct 2003)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Minister for Prisons and Probation) (29 May 2002 to 13 May 2003)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (11 Jun 2001 to 28 May 2002)
- Member, Environment Sub-committee (6 Dec 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Environment, Transport & Regional Affairs Committee (6 Dec 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Hilary Benn’s speeches
- Has received answers to 219 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.56% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 31 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 206 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Hilary Benn’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1112 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Sep 2016.
Name of donor: Oxfam GB
Address of donor: Oxfam House, John Smith Drive, Cowley, Oxford, OX4 2JY
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): travel, accommodation and food at a value of £742.09
Destination of visit: Jordan
Date of visit: 25-28 October 2015
Purpose of visit: to assess the situation facing Syrian refugees in Jordan, including visiting the Zaatari refugee camp and meeting Syrian refugees living there and in the host community, to learn about Oxfam’s work in support of refugees, and to hold meetings with UNHCR
and the Jordanian Government.
(Registered 05 November 2015
Name of donor: Forward Thinking
Address of donor: The Griffin Building, 83 Clerkenwell Road, London EC1R 5AR
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): travel, conference and refreshments to the value of £693.41
Destination of visit: Berlin
Date of visit: 9 Dec 2015
Purpose of visit: to attend a meeting of the Helsinki Policy Forum on improving stability in the Middle East
(Registered 21 December 2015
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Part-owner of house and small nature reserve in Essex: (i). (Updated 24 November 2014
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from