Hilary Benn’s voting in Parliament
Hilary Benn is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Hilary Benn’s votes.
Consistently voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2013
Consistently voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 6 votes against, between 2010–2017
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
2 votes for, 3 votes against, between 2004–2011
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
3 votes for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, between 2007–2016
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
1 vote for, 18 votes against, 7 absences, between 2010–2015
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 15 votes against, 2 absences, between 2012–2014
We have lots more plain English analysis of Hilary Benn’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Hilary Benn’s full vote analysis page for more.
Hilary Benn has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 16 Jan 2018
I congratulate my hon. Friend the Member for Wirral South (Alison McGovern) on having made this application for an emergency debate and on the passion she showed in her speech—a passion she has shown over many years in pursuit of principle. There will not be any victors in the war in Syria; there are only victims—the 400,000 or so whose lives have been lost and the many others...
More of Hilary Benn’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leeds Central
Entered the House of Commons on 10 June 1999 — Byelection
Topics of interest
Hilary Benn campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Communities and Local Government
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for Exiting the European Union
- Written Questions: Government Responses
- Written Questions
- Yemen: Military Intervention
- Housing: Construction
- Local Government Finance
Currently held offices
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 6 Nov 2017)
- Chair, Committee on Exiting the European Union (since 12 Jul 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (19 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Committee on Exiting the European Union (19 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Foreign Secretary (8 May 2015 to 26 Jun 2016)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (7 Oct 2011 to 8 May 2015)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (26 Jan 2011 to 7 Dec 2011)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (28 Jun 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- The Secretary of State for International Development (6 Oct 2003 to 28 Jun 2007)
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (13 May 2003 to 6 Oct 2003)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office) (Minister for Prisons and Probation) (29 May 2002 to 13 May 2003)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (11 Jun 2001 to 28 May 2002)
- Member, Environment, Transport & Regional Affairs Committee (6 Dec 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Environment Sub-committee (6 Dec 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 64 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Hilary Benn’s speeches
- Has received answers to 120 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 85.40% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 31 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 178 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Hilary Benn’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1181 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 16 Apr 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
12 April 2017
, received £150 from the BBC
, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London W1A 1AA, for appearing on Any Questions
. Hours: 3 hrs. (Registered 19 April 2017)
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: GMB
Yorkshire Region and National
Address of donor: 22 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2HD
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,000
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 06 July 2017)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Part-owner of house and small nature reserve in Essex: (i). (Updated 24 November 2014
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from