A selection of Tony Wright's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2007
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 1999–2007
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
7 votes for, 1 vote against, 34 absences, between 2006–2009
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
10 votes for, 1 vote against, between 2003–2007
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
11 votes for, 0 votes against, between 1997–2004
Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT
We have lots more plain English analysis of Tony Wright’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Tony Wright’s full vote analysis page for more.
The wash-up process in general leaves much about which to be dissatisfied and, one day, no doubt we shall turn our minds to that. Insufficient scrutiny even of the parts of the Bill that remain leaves much about which to be dissatisfied-major amendments to the civil service provisions were tabled but were never reached here or in the other place, yet one stray amendment has now found its way...
The hon. and learned Gentleman anticipates my later remarks-the case for fresh thinking about what happens at the end of a Parliament. Should things endure at all, or should they simply fall and have to start again? The case for that is strong, and we have an obligation to review this period, because none of us feels happy about the outcome. I regret the loss of parts of the Bill that would...
Until a few minutes ago, I had not intended to say anything about the motion. I was certainly taking a more benign and generous view of the situation than the hon. Member for Oxford, West and Abingdon (Dr. Harris). I accepted the statement by my right hon. and learned Friend the Leader of the House that she wanted the Standing Order to be enacted but that, unfortunately, that would be...
More of Tony Wright’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Cannock Chase
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Also represented Cannock and Burntwood
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Mining: Pensions
- Government Departments: Annual Reports
- Digital Hearing Aids
Other offices held in the past
- Chairman, Committee on Reform of the House of Commons (10 Aug 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Chairman, Public Administration Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 1 Nov 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Chairman, Public Administration Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
Future MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 36 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Tony Wright’s speeches
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 72.98% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 13 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 33 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 441 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession, etc.
Joint Editor of Political Quarterly, The Political Quarterly Publishing Company Ltd, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 9600 Garsington Road, Oxford, OX4 2DQ (honorarium only).
Received editors annual payment of £2314.20. Hours: 2 weekly. (Registered 23 July 2009
Visiting professor, University of Westminster (honorarium only).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from