Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Alan Williams's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
8 votes for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 1997–2004
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
3 votes for, 1 vote against, 4 absences, between 1999–2007
Generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 5 votes against, between 2003–2007
Consistently voted for more EU integration Show votes
39 votes for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 2006–2009
Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions
Voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2008
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alan Williams’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alan Williams’s full vote analysis page for more.
It is because those very factors need to be taken into account that the amendment is phrased in a way that makes it an enabling amendment-it does not say that the Speaker "should" recommend such action, but leaves it to the Speaker's discretion. There is no compulsion about it.
The National Audit Office has not appointed any staff since 2005 later discovered to be illegal immigrants.
No days were spent on trade union activity in 2009.
More of Alan Williams’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Swansea West
Entered the House of Commons on 15 October 1964 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Topics of interest
- Culture Media and Sport
- Education and Skills
- Home Department
- Royal Residences
- Royal Palaces
- Children's Car Seats
- House of Lords: Reform
- Royal Lodge
Other offices held in the past
- Chairman, Liaison Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Chairman, Liaison Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Alan Williams’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 77.80% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 61 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 724 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from