John Whittingdale campaigned to leave the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
John Whittingdale’s voting in Parliament
John Whittingdale is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, John Whittingdale sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
John Whittingdale consistently voted against allowing marriage between two people of same sex, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of John Whittingdale’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit John Whittingdale’s full vote analysis page for more.
John Whittingdale has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Conservative MP for Maldon
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Also represented Maldon and East Chelmsford; Colchester South and Maldon
Topics of interest
- Trade and Industry
- Culture Media and Sport
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- LNM Holdings
- Unlicensed Broadcasting
- Icelandic Trawlermen (Compensation)
Other offices held in the past
- The Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (8 May 2015 to 14 Jul 2016)
- Chair, Privacy and Injunctions (Joint Committee) (8 Sep 2011 to 12 Mar 2012)
- Member, Privacy and Injunctions (Joint Committee) (14 Jul 2011 to 8 Sep 2011)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (11 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (11 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (1 Jul 2004 to 5 May 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (1 Nov 2003 to 1 Jul 2004)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (23 Jul 2002 to 15 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Trade and Industry) (18 Sep 2001 to 23 Jul 2002)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 29 Oct 2001)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jun 1998 to 1 Jun 1999)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 1997 to 1 Jun 1998)
- Member, Health Committee (5 Jul 1993 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all John Whittingdale’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 82.60% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 132 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Whittingdale’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 565 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 17 Oct 2016.
Name of donor: Viacom UK
Address of donor: 17-29 Hawley Crescent, London NW1 8TT.
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): hotel, return flights and show ticket for myself and a guest; total value £1,529.07
Destination of visit: Amsterdam
Date of visit: 9 to 11 November 2013
Purpose of visit: To attend 2013 MTV Europe Music Awards
This item is a late entry to which the rectification procedure was applied on 1 September 2016. Paragraph 16 of Chapter 4 of the 2015 Guide to the Rules refers.
(Registered 01 September 2016)
Name of donor: Conservative Friends of Israel Ltd
Address of donor: PO Box 72288, London SW1P 9LB
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights, accommodation and subsistence worth approx. £2,000
Destination of visit: Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and West Bank
Dates of visit: 25-30 September 2016
Purpose of visit: Fact finding delegation to Israel, West Bank and Gaza Border.
(Registered 10 October 2016)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from