A selection of Alan Whitehead's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2013
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
2 votes for, 3 votes against, between 2004–2011
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2017
Almost always voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 10 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for university tuition fees Show votes
11 votes for, 4 votes against, between 1997–2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 43 votes against, 9 absences, between 2014–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alan Whitehead’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alan Whitehead’s full vote analysis page for more.
I invite the Prime Minister, instead of going to Milton Keynes, to visit me in Southampton and take a tour of Southampton’s schools. If she does, she will find that those schools are in despair about the cut in pupil funding of 10% in Southampton, which is £475 per pupil or equivalent to the loss of almost 400 teaching jobs across the city. She will also find one school that is...
Southampton is one of the 10 cities threatened with an infraction under the air quality regulations. It is also one of five cities, under the Government’s December plans, to introduce clean air zones, and Southampton’s local authority has been really assiduous in moving forward with its plans. While it has received grants, it has also put in a great deal of its own money. Is it...
To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, what discussions (a) his Department or (b) the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority had with Energy Solutions and Bechtel on any proposals that the voiding of the Magnox decommissioning contract agreed with the Cavendish Fluor partnership should be a part of the arrangement to provide settlement payments to both companies.
More of Alan Whitehead’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Southampton, Test
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 3 May 2017 — Dissolved for election
Topics of interest
Alan Whitehead campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Energy and Climate Change
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for Business
- Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Department for Energy and Climate Change
- Green Deal Scheme
- Electricity Generation
- Housing: Insulation
- Energy: Prices
- Hazardous Waste
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Energy and Climate Change) (10 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (12 Sep 2016 to 28 Nov 2016)
- Shadow Minister (Energy and Climate Change) (18 Sep 2015 to 28 Jun 2016)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 30 Nov 2015)
- Member, Committee on Standards: Standards Review Sub-Committee (10 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Committee on Privileges (7 Jan 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Committee on Standards (7 Jan 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (19 Jan 2009 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Draft Marine Bill (Joint Committee) (8 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Justice Committee (6 Nov 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Draft Climate Change Bill (Joint Committee) (18 Mar 2007 to 3 Aug 2007)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 7 Jan 2013)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2003 to 6 Nov 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Transport, Local Government and Regions) (11 Jun 2001 to 28 May 2002)
- Member, Environment Sub-committee (15 Jul 1997 to 6 Dec 1999)
- Member, Environment, Transport & Regional Affairs Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 6 Dec 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Alan Whitehead’s speeches
- Has received answers to 39 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 75.37% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 127 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 542 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from