A selection of Nigel Waterson's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 2004–2010
Almost always voted against university tuition fees Show votes
1 vote for, 6 votes against, 2 absences, between 1997–2004
Almost always voted against more EU integration Show votes
1 vote for, 30 votes against, 11 absences, between 2008–2009
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
4 votes for, 2 votes against, 5 absences, between 2003–2007
Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT
Generally voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, 2 absences, between 1999–2007
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nigel Waterson’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nigel Waterson’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what (a) representations she has received from and (b) discussions she has had with (i) the Royal British Legion, (ii) other third sector organisations and (iii) other interested parties on the renaming of council tax benefit as council tax rebate.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what research his Department has undertaken into the relationship between levels of spending on police and crime rates; and if he will make a statement.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how much capital funding has been allocated to the Sussex Police in each year since 2000.
More of Nigel Waterson’s recent appearances
Former Conservative MP for Eastbourne
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — General election (stood again)
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Home Department
- Insolvency Service
- Pension Credit
- National Insurance Contributions
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister, Work and Pensions (8 Sep 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister, Work & Pensions (16 Dec 2005 to 8 Sep 2009)
- (Also PPS To the Chairman of the Party), Work & Pensions & Welfare Reform (13 Jun 2005 to 16 Dec 2005)
- Shadow Minister, Work & Pensions & Welfare Reform (20 May 2005 to 13 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Minister, Work & Pensions and Welfare Reform (17 Mar 2005 to 20 May 2005)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Shadow Minister, Economic Affairs (10 May 2004 to 17 Mar 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 10 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Nigel Waterson’s speeches
- Has received answers to 48 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 63.20% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 33 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 582 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
4. Sponsorship or financial or material support
Name of donor: Lansdowne Hotel
Address of donor: King Edward
's Parade, Eastbourne, East Sussex BN21 4EE.
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000. This was given to the constituency
association and the party has reported it to the Electoral Commission
, or will do so in its next quarterly report.
Donor status: company
(Registered 25 February 2010)
Name of donor: Platon Medical Ltd.
Address of donor: 1A Pevensey Road, Eastbourne, BN21 3HJ.
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,000. This was given to the constituency association and the party has reported it to the Electoral Commission, or will do so in its next quarterly report.
Donor status: company.
(Registered 2 March 2010)
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
6. Overseas visits
18-19 May 2009, to Monaco to address Retirement Planning Summit. Travel and accommodation provided by Money Marketing
. (Registered 20 May 2009)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from