It is a pleasure to follow the hon. Member for Angus (Mr Weir). If he had his way, he would not be around in this House to benefit from our long-term economic plan. When I made a speech last week I said that it would probably be my last, so this one can be regarded as an encore. I am delighted to speak in support of my right hon. Friend the Chancellor’s Budget, which I think is superb....
This may be my last contribution in the House, after 18 years here. I have always believed that we are, to coin a phrase, in Europe but not run by Europe. I have always believed that one can be a good European but a pragmatic European who believes that this debate goes beyond red, yellow and green cards, and so on, as the hon. Member for Blackley and Broughton (Graham Stringer) said. I...
I do not know whether the hon. Lady received the same letter as I did on 19 December from the Secretary of State for Business. It said: “And the new Commissioner, Cecilia Malmstrom, has also stated explicitly that ‘public service, including health, education and water management, are not on the agenda.’”
More of Robert Walter’s recent appearances
Former Conservative MP for North Dorset
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Council of Europe
- Dental Services: Dorset
- Safety Cameras
- Ex-servicemen: Hearing Impaired
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Treasury Committee (8 Dec 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, International Development Committee (12 Nov 2001 to 8 Dec 2003)
- Member, Unopposed Bills (Panel) (17 Oct 2001 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Wales) (1 Jun 1999 to 1 Jun 2000)
- Member, European Scrutiny Committee (11 Jan 1999 to 26 Jul 1999)
- Member, Health Committee (21 Jul 1997 to 5 Jul 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Robert Walter’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 50.61% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 119 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 193 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
6. Overseas visits
Address of donor: El Sherouk City, Suez Desert Road, Cairo 11837, P.O. Box 43
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): £3,300
Purpose of visit: to meet the new President, meet government ministers, religious leaders, British Council, IPU
and representatives of civil society in Egypt and discuss developments taking place in the run up to parliamentary elections.
Address of donor: Malvern College Campus, New Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): travel and accommodation at a total value of £1,920
Destination of visit: Cairo
Purpose of visit: to meet senior government ministers and officials, to get an update on the progress of the forthcoming parliamentary elections and attend the launch of the agreement between the Azazy Group and the Malvern College which opens in 2016.
8. Land and Property
Residential investment property in London.
Farmland in Devon.
Director (unremunerated), European Atlantic Limited; company organising overseas trade missions and visits by British companies. (Registered 12 January 2012)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from