Keith Vaz’s voting in Parliament
Keith Vaz is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Keith Vaz’s votes.
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 39 votes against, 15 absences, between 2012–2016
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
42 votes for, 12 votes against, 37 absences, between 2008–2017
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
1 vote for, 11 votes against, 14 absences, between 2010–2015
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2010–2016
Consistently voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, in 2013
Generally voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
8 votes for, 0 votes against, 7 absences, between 2011–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Keith Vaz’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Keith Vaz’s full vote analysis page for more.
Keith Vaz has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 29 Jun 2017
May I congratulate the hon. Gentleman on his re-election as chair of the all-party group on British Hindus? I share his concern about that part of the legislation, which is causing concern among the Hindu community, as Harrow and Leicester are very similar in terms of their Hindu population, and I pledge my support for the campaign he has launched.
It is a pleasure to follow the hon. Member for Bridgwater and West Somerset (Mr Liddell-Grainger) and I eagerly want to visit his constituency to meet all these house builders with whom he is in dispute. I do not think they stand much of a chance, being up against the hon. Gentleman. I welcome the presence on the Labour Front Bench of the new shadow Deputy Leader of the House, my hon. Friend...
I know that all Democratic Unionist party Members would like to live to be 97, especially in the current climate. I will be writing to those 100 Members, urging them to take up that challenge. I want to thank Dr Aseem Malhotra, the world-famous cardiologist, and Donal O’Neill, a renowned film-maker from Ireland, for writing the incredible book, “The Pioppi Diet”. I want...
More of Keith Vaz’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leicester East
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Topics of interest
Keith Vaz campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Constitutional Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Public Bodies
- Public Appointments
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Justice Committee (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2015 to 28 Nov 2016)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (10 Sep 2015 to 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Administration Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Home Affairs Committee (18 Jun 2015 to 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Administration Committee (29 Oct 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Home Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (25 Jul 2007 to 26 Jul 2007)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2003 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (11 Oct 1999 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Lord Chancellor's Department) (17 May 1999 to 28 Jul 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1992 to 1 Jun 1997)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 26 Oct 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 76 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Keith Vaz’s speeches
- Has received answers to 175 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 100.00% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 68 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 88 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Keith Vaz’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1502 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 31 Jul 2017.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Two flats in London: (i) and (ii). The second flat became registrable on 16 January 2017. (Updated 23 January 2017)
Until January 2017, house in Leicester: (i) and (until 12 December 2016
) (ii). (Updated 28 June 2016
, 12 December 2016 and 20 January 2017)
Barrister (not practising).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from