Keith Vaz’s voting in Parliament
Keith Vaz is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Keith Vaz’s votes.
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 14 votes against, 4 absences, between 2012–2018
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 6 votes against, 5 absences, between 2011–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
10 votes for, 5 votes against, 1 absence, between 1997–2017
Generally voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 3 absences, between 2010–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 4 absences, between 2007–2016
Generally voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 8 votes against, 4 absences, between 2013–2016
Last updated: 4 Sep 2019.
Please share these votes responsibly.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Keith Vaz’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Keith Vaz’s full vote analysis page for more.
Keith Vaz has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, with reference to the Prime Minister's statement of 24 July 2019, what estimate her Department has made of the cost of training new police officers to be established by 2022 in (a) Leicestershire and (b) the UK.
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, whether he discussed the situation in Yemen at his meeting with the United States Secretary of State on 7 August 2019; and if he will make a statement.
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when the next meeting of the Yemen Quad is planned to take place.
More of Keith Vaz’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leicester East
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Topics of interest
Keith Vaz campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Office
- Constitutional Affairs
- Yemen: Overseas Aid
- Public Bodies
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Trade Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 4 Dec 2017)
- Member, Justice Committee (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2015 to 28 Nov 2016)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (10 Sep 2015 to 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Administration Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Home Affairs Committee (18 Jun 2015 to 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Administration Committee (29 Oct 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Home Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (25 Jul 2007 to 26 Jul 2007)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2003 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (11 Oct 1999 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Lord Chancellor's Department) (17 May 1999 to 28 Jul 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1992 to 1 Jun 1997)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 26 Oct 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Keith Vaz’s speeches
- Has received answers to 286 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 33.93% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 82 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Keith Vaz’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1522 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 16 Sep 2019.
Name of donor: Italian Barometer Diabetes Observatory Foundation, via FASI Srl Comunicazions Ed Eventi
Address of donor: Segreteria c/o FASI, Via Re Venuti 73, 00162 Roma
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): flights, refreshments, internal transfers and incidentals with a total value of £1,064.86
Destination of visit: Rome
Dates of visit: 9 July 2019
Purpose of visit: As Chair of the APPG
for Diabetes, to speak at the 4th Health City Forum on 9 July 2019.
(Registered 24 July 2019)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
House in Leicester, which is part used as my constituency
office: (i). (Updated 20 January 2017)
Two flats in London: (i) and (ii). The second flat became registrable on 16 January 2017. (Updated 23 January 2017)
Barrister (not practising).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)