Keith Vaz’s voting in Parliament
Keith Vaz is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Keith Vaz’s votes.
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 6 votes against, 2 absences, between 2003–2016
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 6 votes against, 5 absences, between 2011–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2010–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 4 absences, between 2007–2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 39 votes against, 15 absences, between 2012–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
10 votes for, 4 votes against, 1 absence, between 1997–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Keith Vaz’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Keith Vaz’s full vote analysis page for more.
Last updated: 19 Apr 2017
Safety of children at theme parks – Keith Vaz.
It is a pleasure to follow the hon. Member for St Albans (Mrs Main). I congratulate her on her fourth election victory. I am glad, because she will continue the outstanding work that she does for the all-party group on Bangladesh. Congratulations to you, Mr Deputy Speaker, on your seamless elevation to the Chair. We welcome you to your position. I am honoured again to be returned—
I hope I get an extra minute for that.
More of Keith Vaz’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leicester East
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Topics of interest
Keith Vaz campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Constitutional Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Public Bodies
- Public Appointments
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Justice Committee (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2015 to 28 Nov 2016)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (10 Sep 2015 to 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Administration Committee (20 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Home Affairs Committee (18 Jun 2015 to 13 Sep 2016)
- Member, Administration Committee (29 Oct 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Home Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (25 Jul 2007 to 26 Jul 2007)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2003 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (11 Oct 1999 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Lord Chancellor's Department) (17 May 1999 to 28 Jul 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1992 to 1 Jun 1997)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 26 Oct 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Two flats in London: (i) and (ii). The second flat became registrable on 16 January 2017. (Updated 23 January 2017)
Until January 2017, house in Leicester: (i) and (until 12 December 2016
) (ii). (Updated 28 June 2016
, 12 December 2016 and 20 January 2017)
Barrister (not practising).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from