Robert Syms’s voting in Parliament
Robert Syms is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Robert Syms sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Robert Syms generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Robert Syms’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Robert Syms’s full vote analysis page for more.
Robert Syms has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 20 Dec 2017
I commend the Home Office for the careful and considered way it is dealing with this important Bill. It is listening to business and the experts and waiting for some further negotiation, before introducing a Bill that will be fit for purpose for this country for the next 10 or 20 years.
What steps he is taking to support businesses affected by the liquidation of Carillion.
The collapse is really bad news for many smaller businesses, many of which will have their capital wiped out. What discussions has the Secretary of State had with banks about forbearance in keeping those businesses going so that there is proper competition in this market for the future?
More of Robert Syms’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Poole
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Topics of interest
Robert Syms campaigned to leave the European Union
- Local Government and the Regions
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Trade Unions
- Departmental Marketing
- Illegal Immigrants
- Building Regulations
Currently held offices
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (since 30 Oct 2017)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (since 30 Oct 2017)
- Member, Finance Committee (Commons) (since 30 Oct 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Administration Committee (28 Nov 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Government Whip (17 Jul 2016 to 15 Jun 2017)
- Chair, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill (Commons) Committee (8 Jun 2015 to 22 Feb 2016)
- Member, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill (Commons) Committee (30 Mar 2015 to 8 Jun 2015)
- Chair, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill (Commons) Committee (6 May 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill (Commons) Committee (29 Apr 2014 to 6 May 2014)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (10 Dec 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Administration Committee (28 Oct 2013 to 8 Dec 2014)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (6 Sep 2012 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Draft Detention of Terrorist Suspects (Temporary Extension) Bills (Joint Committee) (15 Mar 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (27 Jul 2010 to 10 Dec 2012)
- Chair, Regulatory Reform Committee (27 Jul 2010 to 3 Dec 2012)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 27 Jul 2010)
- Member, Draft Marine Bill (Joint Committee) (8 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (22 Oct 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government) (10 May 2005 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Minister (Office of the Deputy Prime Minister) (1 Jun 2003 to 5 May 2005)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (28 Feb 2003 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Member, Transport Committee (22 Jul 2002 to 25 Mar 2003)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 2001 to 1 Jul 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Transport and the Regions) (1 Jun 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Procedure Committee (5 Nov 1998 to 26 Nov 1999)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 13 Nov 2000)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Robert Syms’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 94.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 143 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Robert Syms’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 442 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 19 Feb 2018.
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Marden Holdings Ltd - family business with interests in property.
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
Until February 2017, I employed my wife Fiona Syms as a part time Senior Parliamentary Assistant. (Updated 7 July 2017
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from