Keith Simpson’s voting in Parliament
Keith Simpson is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Keith Simpson’s votes.
Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
53 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2012–2016
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
20 votes for, 5 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2015
Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
0 votes for, 15 votes against, between 2011–2016
Generally voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 7 votes against, 3 absences, between 1999–2016
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2007–2016
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
19 votes for, 82 votes against, 14 absences, between 2008–2018
We have lots more plain English analysis of Keith Simpson’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Keith Simpson’s full vote analysis page for more.
Keith Simpson has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 13 Jun 2018
I absolutely support what the Minister has said, but can we perhaps move forward? What plans does the Home Office have for having not a paper passport, but a piece of plastic rather like our driving licence?
I follow the example of the shadow Foreign Secretary by saying that, as a member of the Intelligence and Security Committee, I do not intend to ask the Foreign Secretary for details of the recent incident, but does he agree that, after more than a decade now, we can see the direction of travel of the Putin regime? Its ability to murder people it regards as traitors is in the finest traditions...
I have every sympathy with the Secretary of State: over the last two days when this was going to be announced, it was the old Army motto “knickers on, knickers off”, which many of us are familiar with. A number of colleagues, including my right hon. Friend the Member for Chingford and Woodford Green (Mr Duncan Smith), have pointed to the crucial matter of money. Twenty years ago,...
More of Keith Simpson’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Broadland
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Also represented Mid Norfolk
Topics of interest
Keith Simpson campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- International Development
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Sudan: Peacekeeping Operations
- Sudan: Peace Negotiations
Currently held offices
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (since 16 Nov 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (9 Sep 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (16 Mar 2015 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (10 May 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Defence) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (10 Dec 2001 to 2 Dec 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Defence) (1 Jun 1998 to 1 Jun 1999)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Keith Simpson’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 86.70% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 99 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Keith Simpson’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 298 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 Jul 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
Book Review Editor at Total Politics
magazine, 375 Kennington Lane London SE11 5QY. Paid £250 per month, until further notice. Hours: approximately 20 hrs per month. (Updated 18 May 2015
Name of donor: Saudi Arabia
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Address of donor: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, PO
Box 55937, Riyadh 11544
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights, transport, food and accommodation with a value of £7,802
Destination of visit: Saudi Arabia
Date of visit: 11-15 February 2018
Purpose of visit: Parliamentary fact finding visit with conservative Middle East Council in order to gain a deeper understanding of the strategic links between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the UK.
(Registered 27 February 2018)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from