A selection of Alan Simpson's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
5 votes for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 1999–2007
Voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2004–2010
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 5 votes against, between 2003–2007
Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
18 votes for, 5 votes against, 19 absences, between 2006–2009
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
3 votes for, 2 votes against, 6 absences, in 2004
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alan Simpson’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alan Simpson’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many people are detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 in Nottinghamshire (a) in total and (b) in secure wards; and what the equivalent figures were in 2005.
I came into the House 18 years ago frustrated by a Government who had sold the pass on manufacturing in favour of a dangerous flirtation with speculative and deregulated finance. So, a lot has changed in those 18 years. We are where we are because of the mess that speculative and deregulated finance has taken the UK and global economy into. We currently hover somewhere between recession and...
I welcome the proposals to support the growing of pomegranates, wheat, raisins and alternative crops that have been proposed by Afghan farmers over many years, but does the Minister understand that for them the key issue is not what they will be encouraged to grow but who will be a secure buyer of what they grow? Has the Minister any plans to step in and at least recognise that the starting...
More of Alan Simpson’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Nottingham South
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- GM Crops
- Nuclear Weapons
- Childhood Obesity
- Genetically Modified Organisms
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 17 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Alan Simpson’s speeches
- Has received answers to 22 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.80% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 60 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 377 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from