A selection of Mohammad Sarwar's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
3 votes for, 3 votes against, 5 absences, between 2003–2007
Consistently voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, in 2007
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 5 absences, between 1999–2007
Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT
Almost always voted for more EU integration Show votes
31 votes for, 1 vote against, 10 absences, between 2006–2009
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
5 votes for, 0 votes against, 6 absences, in 2004
We have lots more plain English analysis of Mohammad Sarwar’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Mohammad Sarwar’s full vote analysis page for more.
I wholeheartedly welcome this debate taking place in the House. It is a sign of the progress that we as a nation have made and a testament to the unwavering commitment of my right hon. and learned Friend the Leader of the House to achieving equality, particularly for women. I am sure the whole House will agree that women have made, and are making, tremendous contributions in all fields, both...
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many veterans' badges have been issued to former members of the armed forces since the badges were introduced.
To ask the Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills how many vehicles have been purchased under the Vehicle Scrappage Scheme to date.
More of Mohammad Sarwar’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Glasgow Central
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Also represented Glasgow Govan
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Department
- International Development
- Human Trafficking
- Asylum Seekers
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Liaison Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Chairman, Scottish Affairs Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 1 Nov 2005)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 3 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Mohammad Sarwar’s speeches
- Has received answers to 18 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 57.61% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 24 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 63 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 47 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
1. Remunerated directorships
United Land and Investment Ltd; investment company.
United Land and Investment (Glasgow) Ltd; investment company.
6. Overseas visits
6-11 January 2009
, to Pakistan, visiting Islamabad and the Punjab. The purpose of the trip was to establish a Pakistan-UK
Forum to promote dialogue between Pakistani and UK parliamentarians, including meetings with the President and Prime Minister
of Pakistan and other ministers. The trip was organised by Pakistan's Ambassador at Large and my expenses were met by the Pakistani Government
, except for my flights which I paid for. (Registered 27 March 2009
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) United Wholesale (Scotland) Ltd; wholesale cash and carry business, trading in groceries, cigarettes and alcohol.
(a) Azaan Developers; land and investments in Pakistan.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from