Eric Pickles campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Eric Pickles’s voting in Parliament
Eric Pickles is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Eric Pickles’s votes.
Consistently voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
14 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2012–2014
Generally voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
1 vote for, 3 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
17 votes for, 5 votes against, 4 absences, between 2010–2015
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
3 votes for, 8 votes against, 4 absences, between 1997–2016
Almost always voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
Almost always voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2007–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Eric Pickles’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Eric Pickles’s full vote analysis page for more.
Eric Pickles has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 8 Feb 2017
The organisations that the Minister just referred to and the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe have warned that our voting system is peculiarly vulnerable to identity theft. There is no evidence of voter suppression in the countries that the Minister listed. Does he think that those who talk of conspiracy theories are at grave risk of becoming apologists for electoral fraud?
When my right hon. Friend met Mr Netanyahu earlier this week, did she impress on him that a lasting peace settlement can only be secured if young Palestinians and young Israelis can look forward to a job, a share in prosperity and a life without fear? Does she agree that that can only be achieved through face-to-face negotiations, and will she join the Israeli Prime Minister in pressing the...
It is a great honour to follow the hon. Member for Hove (Peter Kyle) who made a very thoughtful speech. I have to say that I agreed entirely with what he said. Last April, I visited Treblinka, the former Nazi death camp, which the people of Poland have preserved as testimony to man’s inhumanity to man. No country suffered more than Poland and the world is grateful for the way in which...
More of Eric Pickles’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Brentwood and Ongar
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Topics of interest
- Communities and Local Government
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Valuation Office Agency
- Home Information Packs
- Council Tax
- Local Government Finance
- Valuation Office
Other offices held in the past
- Minister for Faith (6 Aug 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (12 May 2010 to 8 May 2015)
- Party Chair, Conservative Party (19 Jan 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (3 Jul 2007 to 19 Jan 2009)
- Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government) (10 May 2005 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Deputy Chair, Conservative Party (10 May 2005 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (1 Nov 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (3 May 2002 to 1 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Minister (Transport) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jun 1998 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Transport Sub-committee (15 Jul 1997 to 30 Nov 1998)
- Member, Environment, Transport & Regional Affairs Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 30 Nov 1998)
- Member, Transport Committee (27 Nov 1995 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Vice-Chair, Conservative Party (1 Jul 1993 to 1 May 1997)
- Member, Environment Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 1 Mar 1993)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Eric Pickles’s speeches
- Has received answers to 4 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 74.88% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 182 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Eric Pickles’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 737 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Feb 2017.
1. Employment and earnings
From 4 April 2016
, non-executive board member of Leo Group Ltd, Swalesmoor Road, Halifax HX3 6UF. Until further notice, I will receive £40,000 per annum for an expected time commitment of 135 hours a year. I consulted ACoBA about this appointment. (Registered 18 April 2016; updated 21 April 2016)
Name of donor: Australia Israel Cultural Exchange Limited (AICE
Address of donor: Suite 836, Level 8, 1 Queens Road, Melbourne 3004 VIC
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): flight, transport and accommodation with a value of £3,400
Destination of visit: Israel
Dates of visit: 16-20 December 2016
Purpose of visit: Tripartite Australia Israel UK Leadership Dialogue conference in Israel.
(Registered 19 January 2017
Extended Test Drive of Ford Mustang 26-29 February 2016
, provided by Ford Motor Company, Eagle Way, Warley, Brentwood CM13 3BW. Approximate value £120. (Registered 18 April 2016)
From 18 April 2016, unremunerated member of the advisory board of Community Security Trust
, a charity working against antisemitism and racism in British society. (Registered 18 April 2016)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from