As a result of COVID-19, some MPs have been less able to vote in Parliament, and this will be reflected in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
A selection of Alan Meale's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, 9 absences, between 2008–2016
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 8 votes against, 15 absences, between 2010–2015
Almost always voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 8 votes against, 4 absences, between 2013–2016
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
48 votes for, 11 votes against, 32 absences, between 2006–2017
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
3 votes for, 1 vote against, 2 absences, between 2010–2016
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2013
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alan Meale’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alan Meale’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will provide an update on his Department's work on the 100,000 Genomes Project; and if he will make a statement.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps his Department is taking to ensure that diagnosis and management of familial hypercholesterolaemia is consistent across England.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps his Department is taking to help all clinical commissioning groups to provide adequate access to genetic cascade testing services for familial hypercholesterolemia in their areas.
More of Alan Meale’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Mansfield
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 3 May 2017 — Dissolved for election
Topics of interest
Alan Meale campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- NHS: Public Participation
- Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme
- Pneumoconiosis: Compensation
- Health Services (Nottinghamshire)
- Mansfield Benefit Centre
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Finance Committee (Commons) (7 Nov 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Draft Voting Eligibility (Prisoners) Bill Committee (4 Mar 2013 to 16 Dec 2013)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (24 Jan 2011 to 3 May 2017)
- Chair, Crossrail Bill Committee (13 Dec 2005 to 13 Nov 2007)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (5 Dec 2005 to 13 Dec 2005)
- Member, Draft Gambling Bill (Joint Committee) (10 Jul 2003 to 22 Jul 2004)
- Member, Court of Referees (1 Jul 1999 to 1 Jul 2002)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Environment) (28 Jul 1998 to 29 Jul 1999)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Environment, Transport and the Regions) (28 Jul 1998 to 29 Jul 1999)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jul 1992 to 1 Jul 1994)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (19 Dec 1989 to 16 Mar 1992)
- Member, European Legislation Sub-Committee I (12 Jul 1989 to 10 Jan 1990)
- Member, European Legislation Committee (9 Feb 1988 to 15 Dec 1989)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: John Meale
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £7,000 pa use of office space
Date of receipt: January 2012; renewed January 2013 (arrangement has continued since January 2001)
Date of acceptance: January 2012
Donor status: individual
(Registered 24 January 2012; updated 25 February 2013 and 02 August 2016)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my spouse, Diana Gilhespy, as part-time Senior Parliamentary Assistant.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from