A selection of Michael Meacher's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 8 votes against, 3 absences, between 2013–2014
Generally voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 7 absences, between 2008–2015
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
0 votes for, 23 votes against, 20 absences, between 2012–2015
Almost always voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
1 vote for, 4 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2013
Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, 5 absences, between 2010–2013
We have lots more plain English analysis of Michael Meacher’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Michael Meacher’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many asylum seekers the Government plans to resettle in (a) Oldham, (b) Rochdale, (c) all 10 Greater Manchester metropolitan boroughs, (d) London and (e) the South East.
This is a Bill of naked discrimination against the trade unions, designed to cut the funding of the Labour party severely and, thus, to entrench the Tory party in power, as well as to make it almost impossible to strike in certain industrial sectors. However, it is worth quoting the stated purposes of the Bill, which the Government pretend are their motives. The first is to “pursue our...
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, with reference to the allocation of commissioning resources for 2015-16, for what reason the allocation for (a) NHS Oldham is 49 per cent below target, (b) Greater Manchester is two per cent below target, (c) NHS Isle of Wight is 18.02 per cent above target, (d) NHS West London is 31.52 per cent above target and (e) NHS Westminster is 26.24 per cent...
More of Michael Meacher’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Oldham West and Royton
Entered the House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 20 October 2015 — Died
Also represented Oldham West
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Trade and Industry
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- Departments: Consultants
- GM Crops
- Health Services
- Tax Avoidance
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (12 Oct 2015 to 21 Oct 2015)
- Minister (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Environment) (11 Jun 2001 to 13 Jun 2003)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (19 Nov 1997 to 11 Sep 2003)
- Minister of State (Department for Environment, Transport and the Regions) (Environment) (3 May 1997 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jul 1996 to 1 May 1997)
- Shadow Minister (Education) (1 Jul 1995 to 1 Jul 1996)
- Shadow Minister (Transport) (22 Jun 1994 to 1 Jul 1995)
- Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Jul 1993 to 22 Jun 1994)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Foreign Affairs) (20 Jul 1992 to 1 Jul 1993)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (1 Jul 1989 to 20 Jul 1992)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (1 Jul 1987 to 1 Jul 1989)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1983 to 1 Jul 1988)
- Shadow Secretary of State (11 Jun 1983 to 1 Jul 1987)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Sub-Committee (1 Mar 1982 to 9 Jun 1983)
- Member, Treasury & Civil Service Committee (13 Mar 1981 to 9 Jun 1983)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Trade) (14 Apr 1976 to 4 May 1979)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health and Social Security) (12 Jun 1975 to 14 Apr 1976)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Industry) (7 Mar 1974 to 12 Jun 1975)
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Michael Meacher’s speeches
- Has received answers to 18 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 56.25% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 13 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 105 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1659 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Oct 2015.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Unite the Union
Address of donor: Unite House, 128 Theobald’s Road, Holborn WC1X 8TN
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 15 December 2014
6. Land and property: (i) value over Â£100,000 (ii) rental income of over Â£10,000 a year
Four residential properties in London: (i) and (ii)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from