A selection of Eric Martlew's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
7 votes for, 1 vote against, between 1999–2007
Voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2008
Consistently voted for more EU integration Show votes
38 votes for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2006–2009
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
5 votes for, 6 votes against, between 2003–2007
Consistently voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2004–2010
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
11 votes for, 0 votes against, between 1997–2004
We have lots more plain English analysis of Eric Martlew’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Eric Martlew’s full vote analysis page for more.
Why does the hon. Gentleman exclude the channel tunnel?
My hon. Friend was very bad.
I am glad that you are in the Chair, Mr. Illsley. Perhaps we will not have any instances of mistaken identity today, which is something that can happen. As I am sure you are aware, a number of hon. Members who wanted to attend this debate are not here because of confusion over timing. Apparently the usual channels collapsed, and the debate was on the Whip as being at 2.30. Those who wanted to...
More of Eric Martlew’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Carlisle
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Education and Skills
- North Cumbria Health Action Zone
- New Deal Schemes: Self-employed
- Badgers/Bovine Tuberculosis
- North West Regional Fisheries
- Ecology and Recreation Advisory Committee
Other offices held in the past
- Member, North West Regional Select Committee (4 Mar 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Chairmen's Panel Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Finance & Services Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 27 Mar 2007)
- Member, Transport Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 25 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Eric Martlew’s speeches
- Has received answers to 5 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 79.81% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 25 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 299 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from