Gordon Marsden campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Gordon Marsden’s voting in Parliament
Gordon Marsden is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Gordon Marsden sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Gordon Marsden generally voted for university tuition fees, while most Labour MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Gordon Marsden’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Gordon Marsden’s full vote analysis page for more.
Gordon Marsden has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, how many students in English state schools took at least one GCSE in a foreign language at the end of Key Stage 4 in 2014-15; and whether her Department made an estimate of the number of students expected to take at least one GCSE in a foreign language under the planned 90 per cent English Baccalaureate target.
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what assessment her Department has made of the subjects most likely to be affected by a reduction in the number of people taking them in the event of a significant proportion of young people required to take a foreign language GCSE.
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what her policy is on the relative value of a foreign language GCSE compared to a qualification in a creative or technical subject; and what the evidential basis for that policy is.
More of Gordon Marsden’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Blackpool South
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Department for Business
- Innovation and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- Department for Transport
- Regional Growth Fund
- Students: Loans
- Vocational Training
- Apprentices: Taxation
Currently held offices
- Shadow Minister (Education) (since 18 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) (since 18 Sep 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Transport) (7 Oct 2013 to 18 Sep 2015)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (26 Oct 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) (12 May 2010 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Commons Science and Technology Committee (1 Oct 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Innovation, Universities and Skills Committee (9 Nov 2007 to 30 Sep 2009)
- PPS (Mr Michael Wills, Minister of State), Ministry of Justice (28 Jun 2007 to 7 Feb 2008)
- Member, Education & Skills Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 8 Nov 2007)
- PPS (Rt Hon Tessa Jowell, Secretary of State), Department for Culture, Media & Sport (13 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (31 Jan 2002 to 5 May 2005)
- Member, Education Sub-committee (10 Nov 1998 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Education & Employment Committee (9 Nov 1998 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 16 Apr 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 1 Aug 2016.
Name of donor: EAS
Address of donor: Lasnamae 2 ,11412, Tallinn, Estonia
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): accommodation, food and receptions; £450
Destination of visit: Tallinn, Estonia
Date of visit: 9-11 July 2015
Purpose of visit: at the invitation of Estonia's Friends International, participating in international discussions about cyber-security, cultural and topical issues affecting Estonia and digital economic development.
(Registered 25 January 2016
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from