A selection of Ivan Lewis's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
75 votes for, 14 votes against, 54 absences, between 2006–2019
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 13 votes against, 5 absences, between 2011–2018
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2010–2016
Almost always voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 10 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
9 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, between 1997–2017
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2013
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ivan Lewis’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ivan Lewis’s full vote analysis page for more.
On a point of order, Mr Speaker. I seek your guidance. In the remaining hours before purdah, what steps are available to the House to require the Secretary of State for Transport to publish the Oakervee review of High Speed 2? Whistleblowers have revealed that this is one of the great public scandals, I believe, of our generation, and it has led to parliamentarians making decisions based on...
As the first Bury Member of Parliament to speak, may I congratulate you on your fantastic achievement, Mr Speaker? Following yesterday’s decision, which was based on merit, you have been able to bring a great sense of unity to the House. Turning to soft power, what are the Government doing to make it clear to the Indian Government that we have extremely serious concerns about human rights...
It is always a pleasure to serve under your chairmanship, Mr Pritchard. I congratulate the right hon. Member for Elmet and Rothwell (Alec Shelbrooke) not only on securing the debate, but on the eloquent way that he presented his arguments, which were excellent and enabled us all to unite around them. I will speak briefly on behalf of a constituent who wants to be identified, Katie Adwas, who...
More of Ivan Lewis’s recent appearances
Former Independent MP for Bury South
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 6 November 2019 — Dissolved for election
Party was Labour until 22 Nov 2017
Topics of interest
Ivan Lewis campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Culture Media and Sport
- Northern Ireland
- Innovation and Skills
- Northern Ireland Office
- Overseas Aid
- Arms Trade
- St Helena: Airports
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (13 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, International Development Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (21 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (20 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (7 Oct 2013 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (5 Oct 2008 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health) (Care Services) (5 May 2006 to 5 Oct 2008)
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education and Skills) (Skills and Vocational Education) (11 Jun 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (1 Feb 1999 to 13 Dec 1999)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 16 Apr 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 32 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Ivan Lewis’s speeches
- Has received answers to 28 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 53.98% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 122 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 660 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Nov 2019.
1. Employment and earnings
5 September 2019, £4,500 paid to IL
Associates Ltd by Innovation in Housing Ltd, 14 Tytherington Park Road, Macclesfield SK10 2EL, for the development of a series of events to discuss public policy issues. Hours: 21 hrs. (Registered 03 October 2019)
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
From 1 August 2019, IL Associates Ltd; consultancy/project management. (Registered 03 October 2019)
From 1 August 2019, unpaid Director of IL Associates Ltd. (Registered 04 October 2019)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)