Ivan Lewis’s voting in Parliament
Ivan Lewis is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Ivan Lewis’s votes.
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, 1 absence, between 2013–2016
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
7 votes for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 1999–2016
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 12 votes against, 5 absences, between 2011–2014
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
9 votes for, 5 votes against, 2 absences, between 1997–2017
Almost always voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, 7 absences, between 2003–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ivan Lewis’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ivan Lewis’s full vote analysis page for more.
Ivan Lewis has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
It is really good to see my hon. Friend back in good health; I think everyone here would agree. Does he agree that if the Government can find £1 billion to prop themselves up, they can find the money for these women who have contributed to their families, our communities and our economy over so many years? If they can find £1 billion simply to save themselves through a pact with the...
Does the Secretary of State agree that the people of Northern Ireland deserve better from their political leaders? The institutions have teetered on the brink for years, and now they have collapsed. The formula to prevent that from happening was clear: it was for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, the Taoiseach and representatives of the United States Administration to work hand in...
The test of the Budget should be whether it tackles the big challenges facing our country now and in future. I shall focus on three of those challenges: the need for support for business to alleviate the inevitable uncertainty that will prevail throughout the Brexit negotiations; the need to tackle the inequality that is dividing our society more each and every day; and the need to provide...
More of Ivan Lewis’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Bury South
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Topics of interest
Ivan Lewis campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Culture Media and Sport
- Northern Ireland
- Innovation and Skills
- Northern Ireland Office
- Overseas Aid
- St Helena: Airports
- Arms Trade
Currently held offices
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (since 13 Sep 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (21 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (20 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (7 Oct 2013 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (5 Oct 2008 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health) (Care Services) (5 May 2006 to 5 Oct 2008)
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education and Skills) (Skills and Vocational Education) (11 Jun 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Health Committee (1 Feb 1999 to 13 Dec 1999)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 16 Apr 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Ivan Lewis’s speeches
- Has received answers to 41 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 94.44% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 31 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 140 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ivan Lewis’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 607 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 11 Sep 2017.
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: Sir David Garrard
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £10,000 towards my mayoral campaign
Date received: 29 September 2016
Date accepted: 29 September 2016
Donor status: individual
(Registered 01 November 2016
Name of donor: BM
Creative Management Ltd
Address of donor: 4th Floor, York House, 23 Kingsway, London WC2B 6UJ
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000 towards my general election
Date received: 28 April 2017
Date accepted: 28 April 2017
Donor status: company, registration 05635995
(Registered 22 June 2017
Name of donor: UNISON
Address of donor: 130 Euston Road, London NW1 2AY
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
Date received: 11 May 2017
Date accepted: 11 May 2017
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 22 June 2017)
Name of donor: London & City Credit Corporation
Address of donor: 1st Floor, Nelson House, Park Road, Timperley WA14 5BZ
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000 towards my general election campaign
Date received: 22 May 2017
Date accepted: 22 May 2017
Donor status: company, registration 03246436
(Registered 22 June 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from