There are currently votes on relevant topics that are not included in the summaries below. We are working on bringing these records up to date over the next few months.
As a result of COVID-19, some MPs were less able to vote in Parliament in certain periods, and this will be reflected by absences in their voting record.
Show more detail
- 11th May to 2nd June 2020
All MPs could vote remotely through an online voting tool. Votes cast remotely are shown as normal on the TheyWorkForYou voting record.
- 2nd to 9th June 2020
The option of online voting was removed, and a number of MPs may have been unable to vote because they were not physically able to attend.
- 10th June 2020 onwards
The requirements on proxy voting were relaxed, allowing MPs to designate another MP to cast a vote on their behalf.
If an MP votes by proxy, it is effectively exactly the same as if they cast the vote in person and it shows up on their TheyWorkForYou voting record.
MPs are not required to designate a proxy, and may instead pair with an opposing MP to miss a vote. Parliament does not record when two MPs have come to a pairing arrangement, so on TheyWorkForYou, they will both appear to have been absent for the vote.
We will update this information if the situation changes. See more detail on votes during the COVID-19 period here.
A selection of Ivan Lewis’s votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
12 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2011–2016.
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 36 votes against, 17 absences, between 2014–2016.
Almost always voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, 7 absences, between 2003–2016.
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, between 2007–2016.
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
2 votes for, 13 votes against, 12 absences, between 2010–2019.
Almost always voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 10 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ivan Lewis’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ivan Lewis’s full vote analysis page for more.
On a point of order, Mr Speaker. I seek your guidance. In the remaining hours before purdah, what steps are available to the House to require the Secretary of State for Transport to publish the Oakervee review of High Speed 2? Whistleblowers have revealed that this is one of the great public scandals, I believe, of our generation, and it has led to parliamentarians making decisions based on...
As the first Bury Member of Parliament to speak, may I congratulate you on your fantastic achievement, Mr Speaker? Following yesterday’s decision, which was based on merit, you have been able to bring a great sense of unity to the House. Turning to soft power, what are the Government doing to make it clear to the Indian Government that we have extremely serious concerns about human rights...
It is always a pleasure to serve under your chairmanship, Mr Pritchard. I congratulate the right hon. Member for Elmet and Rothwell (Alec Shelbrooke) not only on securing the debate, but on the eloquent way that he presented his arguments, which were excellent and enabled us all to unite around them. I will speak briefly on behalf of a constituent who wants to be identified, Katie Adwas, who...
More of Ivan Lewis’s recent appearances
Former Independent MP for Bury South
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 6 November 2019 — Dissolved for election
Party was Labour until 22 Nov 2017
Topics of interest
Ivan Lewis campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Culture Media and Sport
- Northern Ireland
- Innovation and Skills
- Department for International Development
- Overseas Aid
- St Helena: Airports
- Arms Trade
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (13 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, International Development Committee (11 Sep 2017 to 6 Nov 2019)
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (21 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (20 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (7 Oct 2013 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (5 Oct 2008 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health) (Care Services) (5 May 2006 to 5 Oct 2008)
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education and Skills) (Skills and Vocational Education) (11 Jun 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (1 Feb 1999 to 13 Dec 1999)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 16 Apr 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Nov 2019.
1. Employment and earnings
5 September 2019, £4,500 paid to IL
Associates Ltd by Innovation in Housing Ltd, 14 Tytherington Park Road, Macclesfield SK10 2EL, for the development of a series of events to discuss public policy issues. Hours: 21 hrs. (Registered 03 October 2019)
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
From 1 August 2019, IL Associates Ltd; consultancy/project management. (Registered 03 October 2019)
From 1 August 2019, unpaid Director of IL Associates Ltd. (Registered 04 October 2019)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)