Ivan Lewis’s voting in Parliament
Ivan Lewis is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Ivan Lewis’s votes.
Almost always voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
0 votes for, 12 votes against, 5 absences, between 2011–2014
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, between 2007–2016
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
2 votes for, 13 votes against, 11 absences, between 2010–2015
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2013
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
0 votes for, 4 votes against, 2 absences, between 2010–2017
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 11 votes against, 1 absence, between 2013–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ivan Lewis’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ivan Lewis’s full vote analysis page for more.
Ivan Lewis has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2017
The Prime Minister’s announcement that the Government will not apply the local housing allowance cap to supported housing is a welcome U-turn. The proposed changes would have been detrimental to hundreds of thousands of people across the country. This is a victory for the housing sector, the Labour Front Bench and those Tory MPs who sought to persuade Ministers to listen. The...
This is not the place to repeat fake news. That was not the record of the last Labour Government. The reality is that rough sleeping was a consequence of the Thatcher years, which left a deeply divided and damaged society in this country. I see the consequences of that in my role as joint mayoral lead for rough sleeping and homelessness in Greater Manchester. Benefit sanctions and poverty,...
It is always a privilege to serve under your chairmanship, Sir David, and it is a great relief today. I congratulate the hon. Member for Hendon (Dr Offord) on securing this important debate, which provides an opportunity to reflect on the impact of the Balfour Declaration, 100 years on. The state of Israel was born in the wake of the holocaust—the Shoah—which was a meticulous...
More of Ivan Lewis’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Bury South
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Topics of interest
Ivan Lewis campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Culture Media and Sport
- Northern Ireland
- Innovation and Skills
- Northern Ireland Office
- Overseas Aid
- St Helena: Airports
- Arms Trade
Currently held offices
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (since 13 Sep 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (21 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (20 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (7 Oct 2013 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (5 Oct 2008 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health) (Care Services) (5 May 2006 to 5 Oct 2008)
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education and Skills) (Skills and Vocational Education) (11 Jun 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Health Committee (1 Feb 1999 to 13 Dec 1999)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 16 Apr 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Ivan Lewis’s speeches
- Has received answers to 41 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 64.29% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 31 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 131 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ivan Lewis’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 609 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 13 Nov 2017.
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: Sir David Garrard
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £10,000 towards my mayoral campaign
Date received: 29 September 2016
Date accepted: 29 September 2016
Donor status: individual
(Registered 01 November 2016
Name of donor: BM
Creative Management Ltd
Address of donor: 4th Floor, York House, 23 Kingsway, London WC2B 6UJ
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000 towards my general election
Date received: 28 April 2017
Date accepted: 28 April 2017
Donor status: company, registration 05635995
(Registered 22 June 2017
Name of donor: UNISON
Address of donor: 130 Euston Road, London NW1 2AY
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
Date received: 11 May 2017
Date accepted: 11 May 2017
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 22 June 2017)
Name of donor: London & City Credit Corporation
Address of donor: 1st Floor, Nelson House, Park Road, Timperley WA14 5BZ
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000 towards my general election campaign
Date received: 22 May 2017
Date accepted: 22 May 2017
Donor status: company, registration 03246436
(Registered 22 June 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from