Ivan Lewis’s voting in Parliament
Ivan Lewis is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Ivan Lewis’s votes.
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
2 votes for, 3 votes against, between 2004–2011
Almost always voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 10 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Generally voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 35 votes against, 17 absences, between 2014–2016
Almost always voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
7 votes for, 0 votes against, 7 absences, between 2003–2016
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 5 absences, between 2007–2016
Almost always voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
1 vote for, 6 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ivan Lewis’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ivan Lewis’s full vote analysis page for more.
Ivan Lewis has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
Prime Minister, Chequers is dead, parliamentary maths mean that the current proposal being considered by the EU is dead, and no deal is dead because there is a pragmatic majority in this House that will prevent this economic and social catastrophe for our communities. Will she now switch to EFTA, EEA and time-limited membership of the customs union? History is always kinder to leaders who act...
We are having this debate because of one man’s vision to radically reform the benefits system. Having lost the Conservative party leadership, the right hon. Member for Chingford and Woodford Green (Mr Duncan Smith) decided to focus on the challenges facing the poorest in our society. For that, he deserves credit, not derision. He saw for himself what many of us came into politics to...
More of Ivan Lewis’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Bury South
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Topics of interest
Ivan Lewis campaigned to remain in the European Union
- International Development
- Culture Media and Sport
- Northern Ireland
- Innovation and Skills
- Northern Ireland Office
- Overseas Aid
- St Helena: Airports
- Arms Trade
Currently held offices
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (since 13 Sep 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Development Sub-Committee on the Work of the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (21 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, International Development Committee (20 Feb 2017 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (7 Oct 2013 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (5 Oct 2008 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health) (Care Services) (5 May 2006 to 5 Oct 2008)
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education and Skills) (Skills and Vocational Education) (11 Jun 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (1 Feb 1999 to 13 Dec 1999)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 16 Apr 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 16 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Ivan Lewis’s speeches
- Has received answers to 25 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 52.34% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 31 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 125 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ivan Lewis’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 627 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 29 Oct 2018.
Name of donor: British Council
Address of donor: 87, Avenue Mohamed 5, Belvedere, Tunis 1002
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights £487; transfers £233; accommodation £152; meals and sundries £220; total value £1,092
Destination of visit: Tunisia
Dates of visit: 8-12 November 2017
Purpose of visit: To attend Hammamet Conference run by the British Council, and to participate in working groups.
(Registered 08 December 2017
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from