Oliver Letwin campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Oliver Letwin’s voting in Parliament
Oliver Letwin is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Oliver Letwin’s votes.
Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
Almost always voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
Almost always voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Generally voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Oliver Letwin’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Oliver Letwin’s full vote analysis page for more.
Oliver Letwin has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
My hon. Friend and I have often discussed these issues. Does he agree that that example shows the importance of ensuring that the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority remains in a condition in which it can take such a stance?
More of Oliver Letwin’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for West Dorset
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Culture Media and Sport
- Departmental Accountancy
- Departments: Accountancy
- Departmental Public Expenditure
- Departments: Public Bodies
Other offices held in the past
- Minister for Government Policy (15 Jul 2014 to 14 Jul 2016)
- The Minister for Government Policy (12 May 2010 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Without portfolio (8 Dec 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Environment) (10 May 2005 to 8 Dec 2005)
- Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (10 Nov 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Home Office) (1 Sep 2001 to 10 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury (26 Sep 2000 to 18 Sep 2001)
- Shadow Financial Secretary (23 Jul 1999 to 10 Jan 2000)
- Opposition Spokesperson (Constitutional Affairs, Scotland and Wales) (1 Jul 1998 to 23 Jul 1999)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (23 Feb 1998 to 2 Jul 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 17 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Oliver Letwin’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 88.83% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 119 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Oliver Letwin’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 921 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from