Oliver Letwin’s voting in Parliament
Oliver Letwin is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Oliver Letwin’s votes.
Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
45 votes for, 0 votes against, 9 absences, between 2012–2016
Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
0 votes for, 5 votes against, in 2013
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
18 votes for, 4 votes against, 4 absences, between 2010–2015
Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
0 votes for, 15 votes against, between 2011–2016
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Show votes
6 votes for, 9 votes against, 1 absence, between 1997–2017
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
21 votes for, 46 votes against, 24 absences, between 2008–2017
We have lots more plain English analysis of Oliver Letwin’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Oliver Letwin’s full vote analysis page for more.
Oliver Letwin has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 29 Jun 2017
I was delighted to hear my right hon. Friend refer in both his statement and his answers to the need for inclusive politics post-Mosul in order to win the peace, as well as the war, in Iraq. Can he assure the House that Her Majesty’s Government will keep up the pressure on the Abadi regime to ensure that the new governor of Mosul fully respects the rights and needs of all sections of...
Of course I understand the points my right hon. Friend has made about the fact that the present situation cannot go on forever. However, one of the virtues that are required, and one of the many virtues that are involved in his arduous post, is patience. I hope he will be able to assure the House that he will be exhibiting that virtue even beyond the level of the proverbial saint, in order to...
More of Oliver Letwin’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for West Dorset
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Topics of interest
Oliver Letwin campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Culture Media and Sport
- Departmental Accountancy
- Departments: Accountancy
- Departmental Public Expenditure
- Departments: Public Bodies
Other offices held in the past
- Minister for Government Policy (15 Jul 2014 to 14 Jul 2016)
- The Minister for Government Policy (12 May 2010 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Without portfolio (8 Dec 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Environment) (10 May 2005 to 8 Dec 2005)
- Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (10 Nov 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Home Office) (1 Sep 2001 to 10 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury (26 Sep 2000 to 18 Sep 2001)
- Shadow Financial Secretary (23 Jul 1999 to 10 Jan 2000)
- Opposition Spokesperson (Constitutional Affairs, Scotland and Wales) (1 Jul 1998 to 23 Jul 1999)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (23 Feb 1998 to 2 Jul 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 35 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Oliver Letwin’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 100.00% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 116 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Oliver Letwin’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 935 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 May 2017.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Ilchester Estates
Address of donor: The Estate Office, Melbury Sampford, Dorchester DT2 0LF
Amount of donation, or nature and value if donation in kind: £5,000 solicited by me for my local association's fighting fund
Donor status: company, registration 01006592
(Registered 25 April 2017)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
My wife and I let out rooms in our London home: (i) and (ii). (Registered 25 April 2012
From 19 April 2017, Chair (unpaid) of the Management Board of the Red Tape Initiative; a cross-party think tank established to identify regulatory changes that can be made by political consensus speedily after Brexit. (Registered 19 April 2017)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from