Edward Leigh’s voting in Parliament
Edward Leigh is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Edward Leigh sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Edward Leigh consistently voted against allowing marriage between two people of same sex, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
Edward Leigh generally voted against the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs almost always voted for. Show votes
Edward Leigh generally voted against fixed periods between parliamentary elections, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Edward Leigh’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Edward Leigh’s full vote analysis page for more.
Edward Leigh has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
The Prime Minister appears to be saying that President Tusk’s suggestion of a Canada deal is not acceptable because it would result in some kind of hard border. That is not something I accept, but perhaps my hon. Friend can comment on it. If we have the facilitated customs arrangement, will we not need some tracking device and, if we have a tracking device, could that not be used to...
My right hon. Friend was talking about the facilitated customs arrangement. Before Monday, it was already going to be difficult enough to persuade the EU that it was in its interests for us to collect tariffs on its behalf, but after Monday’s vote the arrangements must be reciprocal. Is there the remotest chance of us persuading the EU to collect tariffs on our behalf on some distant...
Those are warm words, which is absolutely fine, but what is the substance? Is it the view of Her Majesty’s Government that Russia should be expelled from the Committee of Ministers in the Council of Europe?
More of Edward Leigh’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Gainsborough
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Gainsborough and Horncastle
Topics of interest
Edward Leigh campaigned to leave the European Union
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- National Holocaust Memorial Centre and Learning Service
- Local Government Finance
- Civil Partnerships
Currently held offices
- Member, Procedure Committee (since 19 Mar 2018)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (since 16 Nov 2017)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (since 22 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, International Trade Committee (31 Oct 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (4 Nov 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Procedure Committee (13 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Members' Expenses Committee (18 Jul 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Public Accounts Commission (16 Mar 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (7 Jul 2010 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (1 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (5 Nov 2001 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Public Accounts Committee (17 Oct 2001 to 1 Jan 2010)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (14 Apr 2000 to 17 Oct 2001)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 4 Dec 1997)
- Member, International Development Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 19 Jul 2001)
- Member, Agriculture Committee (26 Feb 1996 to 17 Oct 1996)
- Member, Social Security Committee (11 Dec 1995 to 13 Dec 2000)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Trade and Industry) (2 Nov 1990 to 27 May 1993)
- Member, Defence Committee (9 Jun 1983 to 15 May 1987)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
- Chairman, Domestic Gas and Electricity (Tariff Cap) Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- Chairman, Domestic Gas and Electricity (Tariff Cap) Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Chairman, Automated and Electric Vehicles Bill Committee (4 out of 7)
- Chairman, Higher Education and Research Bill Committee (6 out of 14)
- Chairman, Trade Union Bill Committee (5 out of 10)
- Chairman, Health Service Commissioner for England (Complaint Handling) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Local Audit and AccountabilityBill Committee (4 out of 9)
- Citizenship (Armed Forces) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Trusts (Capital and Income) Bill [LORDS] Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Energy Bill Committee (8 out of 16)
- Chairman, Energy Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- Chairman, Financial Services Bill Committee (9 out of 18)
- Chairman, Energy Bill Committee (4 out of 8)
- Mortgage Repossessions (Protection of Tenants Etc.) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Education and Inspections Bill Committee (21 out of 21)
- International Development Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Hunting Bill Committee (14 out of 16)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 96 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Edward Leigh’s speeches
- Has received answers to 40 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 85.36% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 24 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 77 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Edward Leigh’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1711 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Sep 2018.
1. Employment and earnings
Non-executive director of Europe Arab Bank, 15 Moorgate, London EC2R 6AD:
From 1 October 2017
until further notice, I will receive an annual salary of £74,000, paid monthly, for an expected monthly commitment of 20-30 hrs. (Registered 03 November 2017)
Barrister, not currently practising. (Registered 22 May 2015
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from