Edward Leigh campaigned to leave the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Edward Leigh’s voting in Parliament
Edward Leigh is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Edward Leigh sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Edward Leigh consistently voted against allowing marriage between two people of same sex, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for.
Edward Leigh generally voted against the Iraq war, while most Conservative MPs almost always voted for.
Edward Leigh generally voted against fixed periods between parliamentary elections, while most Conservative MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Edward Leigh’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Edward Leigh’s full vote analysis page for more.
Edward Leigh has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Apparently, you can wind up, Mr Blackford. We would not want to miss your dulcet tones.
Order. We are having a lot of interventions. This is a three-hour debate, so if people want to make long interventions, I would love to hear them give a speech instead. There is no need for long interventions, Sir Alan.
Order. This is a very interesting debate on local government pensions and I know that Mr Blackford, who is a consummate parliamentary performer, will want to get straight back to the point, and away from Mr Maxwell, won’t he?
More of Edward Leigh’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Gainsborough
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Gainsborough and Horncastle
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Local Government Finance
- Civil Partnerships
- Asylum Seekers
Currently held offices
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (since 4 Nov 2015)
- Member, Procedure Committee (since 13 Jul 2015)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (since 7 Jul 2010)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Members' Expenses Committee (18 Jul 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Public Accounts Commission (16 Mar 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (1 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (5 Nov 2001 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Public Accounts Committee (17 Oct 2001 to 1 Jan 2010)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (14 Apr 2000 to 17 Oct 2001)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 4 Dec 1997)
- Member, International Development Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 19 Jul 2001)
- Member, Agriculture Committee (26 Feb 1996 to 17 Oct 1996)
- Member, Social Security Committee (11 Dec 1995 to 13 Dec 2000)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Trade and Industry) (2 Nov 1990 to 27 May 1993)
- Member, Defence Committee (9 Jun 1983 to 15 May 1987)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 119 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Edward Leigh’s speeches
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 78.89% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 24 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 92 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Edward Leigh’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1607 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 17 Oct 2016.
1. Employment and earnings
Non-executive director of Europe Arab Bank (from 4 April 2012
). Address: 15 Moorgate, London EC2R 6AD. From 1 October 2015
to 1 October 2016
I will receive an annual salary of £74,000, paid monthly, for an expected monthly commitment of 20-30 hrs. (Updated 7 October 2015)
26 June 2015
, received payment of £6,250 for June 2015. Hours: 40 hrs. (Registered 07 October 2015)
27 July 2015, received payment of £6,250 for July 2015
. Hours: 25 hrs. (Registered 07 October 2015)
27 August 2015
, received payment of £6,250 for August 2015. Hours: 10 hrs. (Registered 07 October 2015)
25 September 2015
, received payment of £6,250 for September 2015. Hours: 15 hrs. (Registered 07 October 2015)
Name of donor: HM Government of Gibraltar
Address of donor: Gibraltar House, 150 Strand, London WC2R 1JA
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): for my wife and myself, travel and accommodation with a total value of £1,096
Destination of visit: Gibraltar
Dates of visit: 8-10 September 2016
Purpose of visit: As part of the Gibraltar APPG, guest of the Government of Gibraltar for National Day.
(Registered 07 October 2016)
Barrister, not currently practising. (Registered 22 May 2015
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from