George Howarth campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
George Howarth’s voting in Parliament
George Howarth is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, George Howarth sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
George Howarth generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of George Howarth’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit George Howarth’s full vote analysis page for more.
George Howarth has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
I am grateful to the Minister for giving way and for the thoughtful way in which he is responding to the debate. For the sake of completeness, I should say that my impacted disc results from playing rather over-enthusiastic football in the fourth division of the Liverpool Shipping league, which the Minister will know is not a lofty place to play. Unfortunately many of my sliding tackles were...
Although I do not, as far as I know, have an arthritic condition, I do have an impacted disc. Frankly, when it flares up, without the support of family members, and in particular my wife, I would be in an impossible situation. It is important that we pay tribute to all those carers and family members who support people with these conditions.
BHS 20 Oct 2016
I am grateful to my hon. Friend for the cogent way in which he has presented his argument. I have no difficulty in supporting the motion, which is in his name and the name of my right hon. Friend the Member for Birkenhead (Frank Field) and others. In principle, I agree with the amendment in the name of the hon. Member for Bedford (Richard Fuller) and others. My only question—my hon....
More of George Howarth’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Knowsley
Entered the House of Commons on 13 November 1986 — unknown
Also represented Knowsley North and Sefton East; Knowsley North
Topics of interest
- Lord Chancellor
- Department of Health
- Home Department
- Tram and Light Rail Schemes
- Social Rented Housing
Currently held offices
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (since 9 Sep 2015)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (since 13 Oct 2009)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (30 Jan 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Conventions (Joint Committee) (17 May 2006 to 31 Oct 2006)
- Chair, Armed Forces Bill Committee (20 Dec 2005 to 9 May 2006)
- Member, Armed Forces Bill Committee (19 Dec 2005 to 20 Dec 2005)
- Member, Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament (17 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons Committee (13 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Draft Mental Health Bill (Joint Committee) (20 Jul 2004 to 11 Jul 2005)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (15 May 2002 to 10 Sep 2003)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Northern Ireland Office) (29 Jul 1999 to 7 Jun 2001)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (6 May 1997 to 29 Jul 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jun 1994 to 1 Jun 1997)
- Member, Members' Interests Committee (4 Apr 1990 to 11 May 1990)
- Member, Environment Committee (19 Dec 1989 to 16 May 1990)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1989 to 1 Jun 1994)
- Member, Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (28 Jan 1987 to 15 Dec 1989)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
- Chairman, Finance Bill Committee (4 out of 6)
- Chairman, Psychoactive Substances Bill Committee (2 out of 3)
- Chairman, Riot Compensation Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Finance Bill Committee (2 out of 6)
- Chairman, Policing and Crime Bill Committee (6 out of 13)
- Chairman, Mesothelioma Bill Committee (1 out of 4)
- Chairman, Growth and Infrastructure Bill Committee (7 out of 14)
- Chairman, Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill Committee (2 out of 20)
- Chairman, Savings Accounts and Health in Pregnancy Grant Bill Committee (4 out of 8)
- Estates of Deceased Persons (Forfeiture Rule and Law Of Succession) Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Chairman, National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (1 out of 4)
- Chairman, Financial Services Bill Committee (8 out of 18)
- Perpetuities and Accumulations Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- Coroners and Justice Bill Committee (13 out of 16)
- Freedom of Information (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Mental Capacity Bill Committee (10 out of 12)
- Health Protection Agency Bill Committee (3 out of 3)
- Extradition Bill Committee (9 out of 9)
- Finance Bill Committee (14 out of 16)
- Housing Benefit (Withholding of Payment) Bill Committee (3 out of 3)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 17 Oct 2016.
Name of donor: International Diabetes Federation
Address of donor: 166 Chaussée de La Hulpe, B-1170 Brussels, Belgium
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): hotel accommodation (4 nights), plus some meals and transport; total £800. Costs of flights, some transport and meals repaid by a non-registrable source.
Destination of visit: Vancouver
Date of visit: 27 November - 1 December 2015
Purpose of visit: to attend Global Parliamentary Champions for Diabetes Forum and present country report.
(Registered 13 January 2016
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from