Oliver Heald’s voting in Parliament
Oliver Heald is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Oliver Heald’s votes.
Generally voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
0 votes for, 6 votes against, 5 absences, between 1999–2016
Consistently voted for greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
12 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2013–2016
Almost always voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
6 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2007–2016
Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
50 votes for, 0 votes against, 4 absences, between 2012–2016
Almost always voted for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
10 votes for, 0 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
19 votes for, 54 votes against, 20 absences, between 2008–2017
We have lots more plain English analysis of Oliver Heald’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Oliver Heald’s full vote analysis page for more.
Oliver Heald has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 11 Sep 2017
Does my hon. Friend agree that with the Labour years having led to far less recruitment and training of nurses and doctors than the country needed, we are now in an international labour market for those important workers? It is therefore important that pay rates are high enough to attract them to this country.
Does my hon. Friend agree that every time Labour has tried tax, borrow, spend, they have left government with the country poorer and with people earning less—the wealthy and those on lower incomes? They just do not know how to run the economy.
As my hon. Friend will know, there are homes and businesses in the rural parts of North East Hertfordshire that are more than 1,000 metres from the nearest cabinet, so providing fibre straight to the door is the best solution. Will the proposed change mean that more work can be done on that more quickly?
More of Oliver Heald’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for North East Hertfordshire
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Also represented Hertfordshire North
Topics of interest
Oliver Heald campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Constitutional Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Duchy of Lancaster
- Cabinet Office
- Mental Health
- Departmental Internet
- Departments: Manpower
- Departmental Consultants
- Departmental Information Officers
Other offices held in the past
- The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice (16 Jul 2016 to 12 Jun 2017)
- Member, House of Commons Governance Committee (16 Oct 2014 to 17 Dec 2014)
- The Solicitor-General (6 Sep 2012 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Member, Draft House of Lords Reform Bill (Joint Committee) (23 Jun 2011 to 26 Mar 2012)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (26 Oct 2010 to 15 Oct 2012)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 12 Dec 2012)
- Member, Committee of Selection (26 Oct 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (22 Oct 2007 to 29 Oct 2012)
- Shadow Secretary of State (10 May 2005 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State (Justice) (15 Jun 2004 to 3 Jul 2007)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons Committee (9 Dec 2003 to 13 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (1 Jun 2003 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Cabinet Minister (Work and Pensions) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jun 2000 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Administration Committee (22 Jun 1998 to 21 Feb 2000)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 1997 to 1 Jun 2000)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Social Security) (6 Jul 1995 to 2 May 1997)
- Member, Employment Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 31 Oct 1994)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all Oliver Heald’s speeches
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 100.00% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 10 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 76 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Oliver Heald’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1078 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from