A selection of Nigel Griffiths's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2004–2010
Voted a mixture of for and against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
1 vote for, 1 vote against, in 2007
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
11 votes for, 0 votes against, between 1997–2004
Almost always voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 1999–2007
Consistently voted for more EU integration Show votes
38 votes for, 1 vote against, 3 absences, between 2006–2009
Consistently voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2008
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nigel Griffiths’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nigel Griffiths’s full vote analysis page for more.
Will my right hon. Friend give a cast-iron guarantee that he will reject the policies of Conservative Euro MPs who tour America denouncing our national health service?
Will the Prime Minister confirm that, at 8 per cent., the unemployment rate in the United Kingdom is far below the rate in the United States, of 9.7 per cent., in France, of 10.1 per cent., and in Spain, of 18.8 per cent? Will he assure the House that he will never adopt the policies of the Conservative party, which thinks that unemployment is a price worth paying?
What estimate he has made of the number of wind energy projects approved by local authorities in the last two years; and if he will make a statement.
More of Nigel Griffiths’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Edinburgh South
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Energy and Climate Change
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Gilmerton Core Store
- Core Storage
- Departmental Publications
- National Geoscience Data Centre
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (7 Nov 2007 to 11 May 2010)
- Parliamentary Secretary (11 May 2005 to 13 Mar 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Trade and Industry (17 Dec 2004 to 11 May 2005)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Small Business), Department of Trade and Industry (4 Nov 2004 to 17 Dec 2004)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Trade and Industry (11 Jun 2001 to 4 Nov 2004)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Competition and Consumer Affairs), Department of Trade and Industry (5 May 1997 to 28 Jul 1998)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 8 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Nigel Griffiths’s speeches
- Has received answers to 12 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 76.55% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 76 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 448 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from