A selection of Andrew George's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
2 votes for, 3 votes against, 4 absences, between 2008–2014
Generally voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
2 votes for, 7 votes against, 8 absences, between 2012–2014
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 abstention, 1 absence, in 2013
Generally voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
1 vote for, 7 votes against, 1 abstention, 1 absence, between 2010–2013
Voted for reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
1 vote for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2010–2015
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
16 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 abstention, 4 absences, between 2008–2013
We have lots more plain English analysis of Andrew George’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Andrew George’s full vote analysis page for more.
I thank the Minister for the Government’s support for the offshore Wave Hub, which is just to the north of my constituency. That is a welcome development. May I also draw his attention to the fact that the Swansea bay tidal lagoon proposes to source its stone from my constituency, which creates some challenges as it will have an impact on one of the Government’s important marine...
I wish to present a petition that was the product of constituents’ astonishment, indeed anger, that the House of Commons could vote by an overwhelming majority on 5 September to support my private Member’s Bill to scrap the Government’s under-occupancy penalty, otherwise known as the bedroom tax, and to improve opportunities for affordable homes—the vote was 306 to...
What plans he has to devolve powers to Cornwall.
More of Andrew George’s recent appearances
Former Liberal Democrat MP for St Ives
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- International Development
- Communities and Local Government
- GM Crops
- Bovine TB
- Bovine Tuberculosis
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Health and Social Care Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee (19 Nov 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (10 May 2005 to 4 Mar 2006)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions) (1 Jun 1999 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Agriculture Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 1 Nov 1999)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1997 to 1 Jun 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 47 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Andrew George’s speeches
- Has received answers to 15 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 73.12% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 80 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 662 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
ComRes, 4 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA:
, £75 donation to local charity or voluntary organisation. Hours: 45 mins. (Registered 17 June 2014)
June 2014, £75 donation to local charity or voluntary organisation. Hours: 45 mins. (Registered 17 June 2014)
30 April 2014
, £75 donation to local charity or voluntary organisation. Hours: 45 mins. (Registered 8 August 2014)
29 July 2014
, £75 donation to local charity or voluntary organisation. Hours: 55 mins. (Registered 8 August 2014)
Populus, Northburgh House, 10 Northburgh Street, London EC1V 0AT:
6 August 2014, £75 donation to local charity or voluntary organisation. Hours: 35 mins. (Registered 10 September 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from