Mike Gapes’s voting in Parliament
Mike Gapes is a Labour/Co-operative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour/Co-operative MPs.
However, Mike Gapes sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Mike Gapes generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords, while most Labour/Co-operative MPs generally voted for. Show votes
Mike Gapes generally voted for university tuition fees, while most Labour/Co-operative MPs generally voted against. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Mike Gapes’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Mike Gapes’s full vote analysis page for more.
Mike Gapes has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 13 Jun 2018
The Secretary of State said that UK nationals in the EU will be able to “live their lives broadly as they do now”. Will he confirm that the existing rights to move freely between EU countries and to work and study in other EU countries will apply to all UK citizens currently living in France, Germany, Estonia, Poland and elsewhere?
Syria 24 Jul 2018
I also congratulate my hon. Friend the Member for Wirral South (Alison McGovern) on bringing this matter to us today. Is it not a fact that what the Russians and the Assad regime are doing is driving out moderate forces, forcing them away and, as a result, increasing the territory that is under the control of Daesh affiliate Jaysh Khalid Ibn al-Waleed? Does that not indicate that this is not...
Chief Inspector, you were at the beginning of an answer to a question from Ms Morgan. Would you like to pick up where you were?
More of Mike Gapes’s recent appearances
Labour/Co-operative MP for Ilford South
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Party was Labour/Co-operative until 11 Apr 2005; Labour until 30 Mar 2015
Topics of interest
Mike Gapes campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Office
- Department for International Development
- Israel: Visits Abroad
- Entry Clearances
- UK Border Agency
- UK Visas and Immigration
- Sri Lanka
Currently held offices
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (since 10 Oct 2017)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (since 11 Sep 2017)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (since 22 Jun 2017)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Foreign Affairs Sub-Committee (5 Jan 2016 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (25 Jun 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (12 Apr 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (10 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Foreign Affairs Committee (18 Jul 2005 to 12 Apr 2010)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 18 Jul 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (11 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Defence Committee (20 Oct 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Defence Committee (24 Nov 1999 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 86 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Mike Gapes’s speeches
- Has received answers to 27 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 81.90% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 98 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Mike Gapes’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 663 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 13 Aug 2018.
Name of donor: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
, Shura Council
Address of donor: Riyadh 111165, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Accommodation £750; flights £6,932; other travel £600; hospitality £480; total value £8,762
Destination of visit: Riyadh and Najran
Dates of visit: 9-13 April 2018
Purpose of visit: To deepen understanding of Saudi Arabia and discuss issues of mutual concern.
(Registered 08 May 2018)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from