Paul Flynn campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Paul Flynn’s voting in Parliament
Paul Flynn is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Paul Flynn sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Paul Flynn consistently voted against the Iraq war, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
Paul Flynn generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Paul Flynn’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Paul Flynn’s full vote analysis page for more.
Paul Flynn has sometimes rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
It is heartening to end on a climactic point and to congratulate Mrs Fitzpatrick on her award. This has been a splendid debate. It is one of the joys of Parliament that we have a day on which we can discuss these matters. It is politics in miniature, as we discuss matters that are of protozoan importance nationally, but of vast, gigantic importance in our constituencies. I have the pleasure...
Will the Leader of the House give us the business for September?
It is a great pleasure to echo the words of the Leader of the House, particularly concerning Noeleen Delaney, who we all know as a valued friend, adviser and comforter over many, many years, and all the other members of staff who serve us so faithfully. After the recent days, we might consider accelerating progress on making this place a habitable accommodation for staff, many of whom have...
More of Paul Flynn’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Newport West
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Energy and Climate Change
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Nuclear Power
- Nuclear Weapons
Currently held offices
- Shadow Secretary of State for Wales (since 3 Jul 2016)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (since 3 Jul 2016)
- Member, Petitions Committee (since 20 Jul 2015)
- Member, Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (4 Nov 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Political and Constitutional Reform Committee (12 Dec 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (20 Oct 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 8 Dec 1997)
- Member, Transport Committee (26 Oct 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jun 1988 to 1 Jun 1989)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 101 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all Paul Flynn’s speeches
- Has received answers to 374 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.03% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 32 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 86 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Paul Flynn’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1045 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 1 Aug 2016.
1. Employment and earnings
Royalty payments from Biteback Publishing, 3 Albert Embankment London SE1 7SP. No additional hours.
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my wife, Lynne Samantha Flynn, as Senior Secretary.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from