Maria Eagle’s voting in Parliament
Maria Eagle is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Maria Eagle’s votes.
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
3 votes for, 15 votes against, 8 absences, between 2010–2015
Almost always voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 10 votes against, 2 absences, between 2013–2016
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 41 votes against, 11 absences, between 2014–2016
Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, in 2010
Generally voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
2 votes for, 3 votes against, between 2004–2011
Almost always voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 10 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Maria Eagle’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Maria Eagle’s full vote analysis page for more.
Maria Eagle has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 12 Sep 2018
Tyres (Buses and Coaches) Bill - 2nd reading – Maria Eagle.
I am disappointed that the Minister chose to take away half of my time to respond. I am afraid he did not deal with the points that were made in the debate, and that is a shame. It is ridiculous for him to suggest in the way he did that the Government take account of deprivation. I would like to see how he came up with the figures in his speech. Liverpool’s local authority has lost 64%...
I received a parliamentary answer from a colleague of the Minister about police spending, which said that over the last year £5.1 million of extra money had been given to enable the police to tackle the very serious crime that my hon. Friends the Members for Liverpool, Wavertree (Luciana Berger) and for Wallasey (Ms Eagle) referred to. In fact, that money came from the Government simply...
More of Maria Eagle’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Garston and Halewood
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Also represented Liverpool, Garston
Topics of interest
Maria Eagle campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Ministry of Defence
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for Environment
- Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for Education
- Departmental Travel
- West Coast Railway Line: Franchises
- High Speed 2 Railway Line
- Departmental Public Transport
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport (5 Jan 2016 to 27 Jun 2016)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Defence (14 Sep 2015 to 5 Jan 2016)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (7 Oct 2013 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Solicitor General (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Equalities Office) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Justice) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Minister of State (Ministry of Justice) (also in Government Equalities Office) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Minister of State (Government Equalities Office) (also in the Ministry of Justice) (9 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Parliamentary Secretary (Government Equalities office) (also in the Ministry of Justice) (5 Oct 2008 to 9 Jun 2009)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice (2 Jul 2007 to 9 Jun 2009)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Northern Ireland Office) (5 May 2006 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education and Skills) (Children and Families) (10 May 2005 to 5 May 2006)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (11 Jun 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (25 Jul 1997 to 29 Nov 1999)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 29 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Maria Eagle’s speeches
- Has received answers to 174 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 80.47% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 22 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 108 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Maria Eagle’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 680 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from