Iain Duncan Smith campaigned to leave the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Iain Duncan Smith’s voting in Parliament
Iain Duncan Smith is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
However, Iain Duncan Smith sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Iain Duncan Smith generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords, while most Conservative MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Iain Duncan Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Iain Duncan Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Iain Duncan Smith has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
I am going to. May I unreservedly withdraw the allegation that I made on Monday, only on the basis that it was clumsy? It was not meant about him; it was meant about advice. I do not for one moment doubt the hon. and learned Gentleman’s capabilities as a lawyer.
More of Iain Duncan Smith’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Chingford and Woodford Green
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Also represented Chingford
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Welfare Tax Credits: Overpayments
- Afghanistan: Peacekeeping Operations
- Departmental Secondments
- Revenue and Customs: Debt Collection
Other offices held in the past
- The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (12 May 2010 to 19 Mar 2016)
- Leader of Her Majesty's Official Opposition (12 Sep 2001 to 6 Nov 2003)
- Leader of the Conservative Party (12 Sep 2001 to 6 Nov 2003)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Defence (15 Jun 1999 to 12 Sep 2001)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (11 Jun 1997 to 15 Jun 1999)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (23 Oct 1996 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, Members' Interests Committee (24 Mar 1995 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Standards in Public Life Committee (16 Nov 1994 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Health Committee (24 Jan 1994 to 10 Jul 1995)
- Member, Administration Committee (11 Jan 1994 to 21 Mar 1997)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 10 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Iain Duncan Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Responsiveness to messages sent via WriteToThem.com in 2015: WriteToThem had possibly bad contact details for this MP.
- Has voted in 87.94% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 51 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 216 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Iain Duncan Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1181 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 17 Oct 2016.
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: St. James’s Company Ltd
Address of donor: 22 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1LS
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: The use of a car and driver between 3 May and 12 June 2016
. The value of this service totalled £7,175.58.
Date received: 3 May - 12 June 2016
Date accepted: 3 May 2016
Donor status: company, registration 1996942
(Registered 11 July 2016
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
I have accepted honorary life membership of Buck’s Club 1919, 18 Clifford Street, London W15 3RF.
I have accepted honorary life membership of Pratt’s Club as a Special Member, 14 Park Place, London SW1A 1LP.
7. (ii) Other shareholdings, valued at more than £70,000
Share options held in nlyte Software Ltd. No dividend received.
Share options held in Byotrol plc, a hygiene technology company. No dividend received.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from