Jim Dowd campaigned to remain in the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
Jim Dowd’s voting in Parliament
Jim Dowd is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Jim Dowd sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Jim Dowd generally voted against new high speed rail infrastructure, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
Jim Dowd generally voted for university tuition fees, while most Labour MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jim Dowd’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jim Dowd’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jim Dowd has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Will the Prime Minister join me and, I am sure, the whole House in sending our deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to the family and friends of Rozanne Cooper and her 10-year-old nephew, Makayah McDermott, who were mown down by a stolen car in Penge last week? May we also send best wishes to the three young girls who were involved, all family members? While other inquiries, including...
I have listened to what the Minister said. Unfortunately, I am not assuaged by it because, to coin a phrase, I have heard it before—now it will be “very soon”. It took the Government two years to publish the DEFRA research and development unit report. It began in 2010 and, as my hon. Friend the Member for Bristol East (Kerry McCarthy) pointed out, took until 2012 to produce...
I beg to move, That this House notes the indiscriminate and cruel nature of snares, the failure of previous attempts at voluntary and self-regulation amongst operators, and the continued suffering caused to thousands of animals every year by these traps; and calls on the Government to implement a full ban on the manufacture, sale, possession and use of snares at the earliest opportunity....
More of Jim Dowd’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Lewisham West and Penge
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Also represented Lewisham West
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Innovation and Skills
- Culture Media and Sport
- Cancer: Health Services
- Further Education: Greater London
- Copyright: Education
Currently held offices
- Member, Petitions Committee (since 26 Oct 2015)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (since 13 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (11 Jun 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Draft Mental Incapacity Bill (Joint Committee) (10 Jul 2003 to 17 Nov 2003)
- Member, Health Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 6 May 2010)
- The Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury (8 May 1997 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (1 Jun 1995 to 1 Jun 1997)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 1993 to 1 Jun 1995)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 11 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Jim Dowd’s speeches
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 69.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 220 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jim Dowd’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 183 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Sep 2016.
3. Gifts, benefits and hospitality from UK
Name of donor: William Hill PLC
Address of donor: Greenside House, 50 Station Road, Wood Green, London N22 7TP
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: two tickets plus hospitality, at the FA Cup Final
tie at Wembley Stadium
, with an estimated total value of £500
Date received: 21 May 2016
Date accepted: 21 May 2016
Donor status: company, registration 04212563
(Registered 02 June 2016
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
10. Family members engaged in lobbying the public sector on behalf of a third party or client
My partner, Janet Anderson
, is employed by Pearson Anderson Communications Ltd as a Consultant. (Registered 05 June 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from