Jeffrey M. Donaldson’s voting in Parliament
Jeffrey M. Donaldson is a DUP MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other DUP MPs.
This is a selection of Jeffrey M. Donaldson’s votes.
Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
1 vote for, 2 votes against, 8 absences, between 1999–2016
Almost always voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
0 votes for, 9 votes against, 3 absences, between 2013–2016
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
3 votes for, 45 votes against, 54 absences, between 2008–2017
Generally voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
2 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, in 2013
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 5 votes against, 7 absences, between 2003–2016
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, 3 absences, between 2007–2016
We have lots more plain English analysis of Jeffrey M. Donaldson’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Jeffrey M. Donaldson’s full vote analysis page for more.
Jeffrey M. Donaldson has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 20 Dec 2017
I respect the shadow Secretary of State and look forward to meeting him to discuss this issue, but there is nothing semantic about a veteran in my constituency who cannot travel for vital treatment because the Department in Northern Ireland will not fund his travel. That is not a semantic point; it is reality.
My hon. Friend provides me with an opportunity to recall a visit I made to Camp Bastion in Helmand province in Afghanistan—we were visiting the First Battalion the Royal Irish Regiment, which was on operational deployment. I met soldiers from Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Dublin who were serving in our armed forces. I have to say that they had the Irish tricolour on display alongside...
I thank the shadow Northern Ireland Secretary for giving way. I appreciate his comments. May I quote from a letter dated 15 December 2016 from the most recent Health Minister in Northern Ireland, Michelle O’Neill, who is now the leader of Sinn Féin in Northern Ireland? She wrote: “The Armed Forces Covenant has been adopted by England, Scotland and Wales, to provide equal...
More of Jeffrey M. Donaldson’s recent appearances
DUP MP for Lagan Valley, Former DUP MLA for Lagan Valley
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 26 November 2003 — General election
Left the Assembly on 9 June 2010 — Resigned
Party was UUP until 22 Jun 2003; UUP until 18 Dec 2003; Independent Ulster Unionist until 4 Jan 2004; Independent Unionist until 15 Jan 2004
Topics of interest
Jeffrey M. Donaldson campaigned to leave the European Union
- Northern Ireland
- Ministry of Defence
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Royal Irish Regiment
- Parades Commission
- Police Service
- Army: Northern Ireland
Currently held offices
- DUP Chief Whip (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Business in the House of Commons) (since 8 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Defence) (8 May 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (20 Apr 2011 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Defence Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Equality) (1 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (1 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Transport Committee (9 Nov 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Transport) (1 Jun 2009 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (18 May 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Defence) (1 Jun 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs) (1 Jun 2007 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (International Development) (1 Jun 2005 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Transport) (1 Jun 2005 to 1 Jun 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Defence) (1 Jun 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Education) (1 Jun 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Member, Transport Committee (4 May 2004 to 12 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Shadow Minister (Defence) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (16 Jul 2001 to 24 Oct 2005)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (7 Jun 2001 to 25 Oct 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Communities and Local Government) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Member, Transport Sub-committee (14 Jun 2000 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Environment, Transport & Regional Affairs Committee (12 Jun 2000 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (28 Jul 1997 to 12 Jun 2000)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (1 Jun 1997 to 1 Jun 2000)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Jeffrey M. Donaldson’s speeches
- Has received answers to 8 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 87.22% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 66 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jeffrey M. Donaldson’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 294 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 5 Mar 2018.
Name of donor: HM Government of Gibraltar
Address of donor: 150 Strand, London WC2R 1JA
Estimate of the probable value (or amount of any donation): Flights £415; accommodation £476; total value £891
Destination of visit: Gibraltar
Dates of visit: 8 – 11 September 2017
Purpose of visit: APPG
on Gibraltar visit for National Day
(Registered 13 September 2017)
Director, Centre for Democracy and Peace Building; a company limited by guarantee, based in Northern Ireland
. This position is currently unremunerated. (Registered 06 May 2014
Since January 2014, Chair of the Advisory Board for the Causeway Institute
(CIPCRI Ltd); a sister company to Causeway Institute for Peace-building and Conflict Resolution
and also a private company limited by guarantee, operating on a not for profit basis, to promote and share the Northern Ireland experience of peace-building and conflict resolution in the UK and overseas. This is an unremunerated position requiring not more than 2-4 hours per month. (Registered 02 February 2017
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my wife, Eleanor Donaldson, as a Secretary.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from