A selection of John Cummings's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
2 votes for, 4 votes against, 5 absences, between 2003–2007
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
36 votes for, 3 votes against, 3 absences, between 2006–2009
Voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 2007
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
9 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences, between 1997–2004
Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT
Almost always voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
6 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, between 1999–2007
We have lots more plain English analysis of John Cummings’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit John Cummings’s full vote analysis page for more.
I intend to call hon. Members to make the winding-up speeches at half past the hour.
Order. Behave yourselves and we will get through the debate.
More of John Cummings’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Easington
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Education and Skills
- Industrial Diseases
- Incapacity Benefit
- WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Communities and Local Government Committee (28 Jun 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Chairmen's Panel Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister: Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 28 Jun 2006)
- Member, Chairmen's Panel Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister: Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Urban Affairs Sub-committee Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 5 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all John Cummings’s speeches
- Has received answers to 9 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 81.99% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 31 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 29 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Fee of £150 for opinion survey from IPSOS MORI
, 79-81 Borough Road, London, SE1 1FY.
Hours: 1 hour. Fee donated directly to charity. (Registered 8 July 2009).
Fee of £30 for completing opinion survey from AVIVA Insurance UK
Limited, 8 Surrey Street, Norwich, NR1 3NG. Hours: 45mins. Fee donated directly to charity. (Registered 8 July 2009)
Fee of £50 for completing survey for ComRes, 4 Millbank, London, SW1P 3JA. Hours: 30mins. Fee donated directly to charity. (Registered 25 August 2009)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from