John Cryer campaigned to leave the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel – email them now.
John Cryer’s voting in Parliament
John Cryer is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, John Cryer sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
John Cryer consistently voted against the Iraq war, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of John Cryer’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit John Cryer’s full vote analysis page for more.
John Cryer has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
It is not just the cut of 7,000 prison officers, which my right hon. Friend the Member for Rother Valley (Sir Kevin Barron) talked about; another 7,000 non-officer grades are also being cut. That is a total cut of 14,000 staff—2,000 is a drop in the ocean. That is why people are getting hurt and killed in Britain’s prisons. When will the Secretary of State return staffing to...
Committee on Standards: The Code of Conduct and Guide to the Rules.
Witnesses: Mr Graham Brady MP, Chair of the 1922 Committee John Cryer MP, Chair of the Parliamentary Labour Party Rt Hon Angus Robertson MP, Deputy Leader of the SNP Mr Bernard Jenkin MP, Chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee Dr Sarah Wollaston MP, Chair of the Health Committee John Mann MP
More of John Cryer’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Leyton and Wanstead
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Also represented Hornchurch
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Work and Pensions
- Constitutional Treaty
- European Constitution
- Hospital Treatment
- Prison Service
- English Language: Education
Currently held offices
- Member, Administration Committee (since 20 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Justice Committee (24 Feb 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Treasury Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Member, Regulatory Reform Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 13 May 2002)
- Member, Deregulation Committee (29 Jul 1997 to 11 May 2001)
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 19 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all John Cryer’s speeches
- Has received answers to 3 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 66.76% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 10 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 141 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Cryer’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 180 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from