Crowdfunder – only a few days to go
We’re trying to raise £25,000 to support TheyWorkForYou into the future.
Please take a minute to donate to TheyWorkForYou so we can bring you voting summaries like this for years to come.
A selection of Martin Caton's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
0 votes for, 2 votes against, 1 absence, between 2007–2015
Almost always voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
0 votes for, 9 votes against, 1 absence, between 2010–2013
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
47 votes for, 6 votes against, 15 absences, between 2006–2014
Generally voted against university tuition fees Show votes
6 votes for, 5 votes against, 3 absences, between 1997–2012
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
2 votes for, 1 vote against, 1 absence, in 2010
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
2 votes for, 25 votes against, 4 absences, between 2013–2015
We have lots more plain English analysis of Martin Caton’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Martin Caton’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, what assessment he has made of trends in the rate of child poverty in Wales since 2010.
To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, what assessment his Department has made of the reasons for the time taken for the general release of data from European Science Agency (ESA) projects; and if he will make future UK contributions to ESA projects conditional on full and immediate release of all data.
Order. I am afraid that is far too long for an intervention.
More of Martin Caton’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Gower
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Home Department
- International Development
- Unexploded Ordnance
- Guantanamo Bay
- Rescue Services
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Consolidation Bills (Joint Committee) (6 Dec 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (16 Dec 2003 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (12 Dec 2001 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 17 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
- Chairman, Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill Committee (1 out of 16)
- Chairman, Finance Bill Committee (3 out of 5)
- Chairman, Pensions Bill Committee (6 out of 12)
- Chairman, Finance (No. 2) Bill Committee (5 out of 9)
- Chairman, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (1 out of 17)
- Chairman, Crime and Courts Bill Committee (7 out of 13)
- Chairman, Finance (No. 2) Bill Committee (3 out of 5)
- Chairman, Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Bill Committee (5 out of 10)
- Chairman, Wreck Removal Convention Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Identity Documents Bill Committee (3 out of 5)
- Chairman, Protection of Freedoms Bill Committee (9 out of 20)
- Chairman, Child Poverty Bill Committee (4 out of 10)
- Chairman, Employment Bill Committee (2 out of 4)
- Chairman, Freedom of Information (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress Bill Committee (2 out of 6)
- Chairman, Regulation of Financial Services (Land Transactions) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Compensation Bill Committee (1 out of 4)
- Chairman, Health Bill Committee (1 out of 12)
- Chairman, Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (5 out of 8)
- Carers (Equal Opportunities) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Public Audit (Wales) Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- Local Government Bill Committee (12 out of 14)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Martin Caton’s speeches
- Has received answers to 2 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 63.44% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 62 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 121 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from